Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Nine-Patch: It's a Start

I started my grandbaby's nine-patch in brights and lights (and a few darks the photograph tells me).  Grand-baby-girl is due early in January and I want to finish a quilt for her before she comes. 

Blocks are cut at 2".  I started with 2½" blocks and decided they were too big.  I think baby quilts need baby-size blocks, and even 2" squares seem a little large but I don't think I have enough time to make more blocks and get the quilt finished, so 2" blocks it is.

Above and below is my progress so far and it's possible that after a few more blocks I'll change my mind and make a completely different quilt.  Possibilities for this nine-patch are 2" sashing and corner blocks or snowballs alternating with the nine-patches.  If I do snowballs I think I would choose fabric in a medium tone so I could add light triangles on the corners.  I've also thought about appliqueing flowers around a border.  We'll see how manage with the time I have.

A few more blocks in progress.  I need more yellow blocks, for sure.  None sewn yet.

I've already cut some strips to sew but have to pair them up with light/dark fabrics as needed. 

When I go scrappy it just seems to get crazy.  I can't limit my colors and fabrics.  On the other hand, when I make more than enough blocks it makes it easier to eliminate some that don't seem to work well, so I guess there is some control.

I'm linking this post to Quarter 4 Finish-A-Long at She Can Quilt with the intention of having it sewn (whatever baby quilt it turns out to be), layered, quilted, and bound by the end of December.

--Nancy.
.

3 comments:

  1. How exciting to be waiting for a baby! Enjoy your sewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, when I get scrappy, It's hard to be restrained! I love your sweet nine-patches, and I'm sure your grandbaby will too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to chuckle, my scrappy quilts often turn into two quilts since I make so many blocks! Looking fwd to this finish!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...