Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Beginning to Play

These blocks have been sitting on a cupboard nearly always in view when I'm sewing, cutting, or quilting.  Since I have the strings quilt well underway, I thought I'd put these up and play with possibilities.

No sashing, no corner blocks:
Red Wings with Stars scrap quilt

No sashing, two red corner blocks:
Red Wings with Stars blocks for scrap quilt

Several different sashing possibilities, 1 medium corner block (and a bunch of tape!):
Red Wings with Stars blocks for scrap quilt
I think the color of the sashing on the left makes the quilt look very peaceful and calm.  But maybe it's boring, too.  Below is a red corner block which I like less than the tan, above.

Same sashing as above with red corner block:
Red Wings with Stars blocks for scrap quilt

Other possibilities I might try
  • black, dark brown, dark green sashing with light stars in the corners
  • dark sashing with solid light corner blocks
  • medium sashing with white stars
  • medium sashing with light corner blocks
  • light sashing with red, medium, or dark corner blocks
  • narrow, medium, or wide sashing

On the other hand, maybe no sashing would be perfect.  I just saw photographs here and here of all the blocks together.  Hmmm.  So many possibilities.

I love this part of quilting, the playing with fabrics, patterns, colors.  It takes me a while to make a decision about what I think works for the quilt but for me it's all part of the process.  It has to be since I never use a pattern for a quilt!

I have 41 of the blocks above.  They finish at 9½".  There are 15 with really light backgrounds and 26 with slightly darker backgrounds.  I don't know if I'll put them all together or make some more of the light or the dark ones.  It's all just "let's see what works" right now.

The string quilt looks like this right now:
quilt blocks for Dark Strings scrap quilt
All the corners are sewn.  They are in the process of being trimmed.  Then I'll lay them out, sew them, and decide about a border.  I was thinking a red inner border with an outer border of shorter string blocks, but maybe I'll use an inner border the same color as the corners.

My mind's eye is often fuzzy and inaccurate.  It's better if I actually see things with my real eyes than try to imagine them.

I'm linking this post to
Design Wall at Patchwork Times,
WOW at Esther's Blog, and
WiP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.
Thank you, ladies, for hosting.  I appreciate it.

Best wishes for a great day!
--Nancy.
 .

3 comments:

  1. This is a really pretty quilt block. Your photos with no sashing are beautiful. That might be my choice. But I don't think you could go wrong with any of the options you presented. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri. I'll keep playing and we'll see what happens. Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful blocks. I didn't think no sashing would work, but then I looked at your pictures - I could totally love it with no sashing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...