Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Utility Stars in Blogger's Quilt Festival, Fall 2018

I'm excited that it's time for Amy Ellis's Blogger's Quilt Festival :: Fall 2018 Edition.  I look forward to this all year so I can see all the other quilts in the Festival.  And, of course, I always hope I'll have at least one quilt to include -- and this year I have two.  If you have a quilt to share and have a blog, you can participate, too.  The Festival runs all week.  Many thanks to Amy for hosting the Festival.

I call this quilt "Utility Stars."  I wanted to make a calm, soothing quilt--and prove to myself that it could be just as beautiful, though in a different way, as quilts with lots of colors.


Scrappy quilt with Uneven Stars or Morning Stars or stars in the sashing

I am always so pleased when I put that last stitch in the binding of a quilt.  It gives me such a sense of satisfaction.  Next, I lay it on the floor and measure it, then toss it in the washer, then into the dryer, then measure it one last time.  Truly done then!

This has been a hard quilt to photograph.  The photo above was taken inside with a flash; the ones below outside.

Scrappy quilt with Uneven Stars or Morning Stars or stars in the sashing

I used JoAnn Soft 'n' Crafty batting, 3/8" thick, 80% cotton/20% poly.  I used thread I had on hand--it was probably rayon--then ran out and bought a spool of cotton.  I wasn't sure the shrinkage would be the same after washing and drying.  I left safety pins in the blocks that had cotton thread but couldn't tell any difference between those and the others after the quilt came out of the dryer.  Whew!  That could have been close.  I should probably be more careful about thread from now on.
 
The measurements of this quilt were crazy.  And how about square?  How is it one starts with square blocks and ends up (after quilting) with a quilt that is off by 1/4" to 5/8"?  I squared the corners as much as I dared but I suspect the quilt does not yet have precise measurements.  No matter:  it will never be in a quilt show to be evaluated.  After wash and dry it measures 60¾" x 78½".

Scrappy quilt with Uneven Stars or Morning Stars or stars in the sashing

At one point during the quilting it occurred to me that this quilt looked like it could have been mass-produced and sold in a big box store, probably because of the plain diagonal rows of stitching in the center of the blocks.  I convinced myself that no, it couldn't, because of all its imperfections. 

Scrappy quilt with Uneven Stars or Morning Stars or stars in the sashing

I love the texture these quilting lines created and the puffiness between the stitching.  Those should create lots of air pockets to keep the warmth in on a cold night.  I used masking tape from corner to corner for the first stitching lines, then quilted the other diagonals "free-hand," so to speak.  They are not all exactly, evenly spaced.

You can't really tell it from any of the photos but the binding is about ½" wide.  I thought about an even wider binding but decided this was the best width.  You can read about my wide binding woes here.

And here it is with the early cherry blossoms and sunny shadows.

Scrappy quilt with Uneven Stars or Morning Stars or stars in the sashing

Again, visit Amy Ellis's post, Blogger's Quilt Festival :: Fall 2018 Edition, to view all participants and to link your own quilt's blog post.  Thank you, Amy!

--Nancy.
.

32 comments:

  1. I love your last photo with the blossoms & the shadows, so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I almost didn't post that last photo with the cherry blossoms thinking that it didn't help the view of the quilt too much, but it is an interesting photo with the shadows.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Another great low-volume quilt! Did you hand quilt this one, too? Great quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loretta. I actually didn't think of this quilt as low volume until you mentioned it, but I guess it is. Yes, this one is hand quilted, too.

      Delete
  3. Your hand quilting is beautiful, and there's no way you'd find this in a big box store! I think you achieved perfection with this one. My quilts always end up with odd measurements too. Must be that there is more shrinkage in some fabrics than others or possibly the warp-weft difference in the fabric itself. Doesn't matter, it's a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments about this quilt, Quilting Babcia. I think it must be the photo that makes my hand quilting look good. :-) Thanks, too, for suggesting other reasons for the odd measurements of quilts after quilting, washing, and drying. I always thought it was just me!

      Delete
  4. I think it's beautiful despite the imperfections (which I can't see from here, by the way!). Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Best not to look too close and just enjoy the "distance" photos.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Can you believe I still haven't used it yet?! One of these fall or winter days it will get its chance.

      Delete
  6. Any imperfections means that it was made by a REAL person, so is more lovely and beautiful than any mass produced job. I'm sure your stitches are smaller than mass (slave labor!) produces as well. AH, I just LOVE the texture of your hand quilting... I can feel the love and prayers in each stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that thought about imperfections, QuiltGranma, and for your kind words about this quilt.

      Delete
  7. I remember this one and I love even more seeing it again. Cross hatching is one of my fav methods for quilting, so I don't even think of it as being a look of mass production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tami. I like quilting diagonally and also like how it looks. Glad it doesn't call to mind mass produced to others who see it.

      Delete
  8. You are way too hard on yourself, Nancy. This is much more beautiful than anything in the big stores--and your quilting is so much more precise than what is on those other quilts!!
    I think you achieved your goal of a peaceful quilt. Certainly looks that way to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. You are always so kind with your comments and such a great cheering section for my quilts. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  9. Wish I could see this quilt first hand. I'm finishing up the binding on one of my quilts. You're right about how satisfying it is to put in that last stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Robin. If we lived closer to each other I would invite you over to see it. It's an interesting quilt because some of the fabrics have a brushed finish -- not exactly flannel but not quite quilting cotton. (Because most of them are from shirts.)

      Delete
  10. i just love stars and the mixed with the neutrals. This is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty, I love the neutrals, so soothing and soft looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pamela. I'm looking forward to using it one of these cooler days.

      Delete
  12. Hi Nancy! This quilt is just beautiful. The beige tones are just my favorite colors, and then to mix it with stars?!! Glorious. I can see all the quilty goodness you achieved, and it's after washing size is perfect for cuddling and snuggling under. Really, really nice job. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comments about this quilt, Roseanne. I appreciate them. It hasn't yet been snuggled under but probably will be soon.

      Delete
  13. This looks so pretty and comfy! Enjoy your new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty and clean! Love the simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your goal was met and exceeded! It's perfectly, wonderfully, serene. I love the shadows that fall across the quilt with your use of various light backgrounds and the pretty blue stars that dance across it. Applauding your stellar finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. It is a soft, serene quilt.

      Delete
  16. Pretty quilt - I really like the colors.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...