Friday, November 30, 2018

Autumn Stars for Noah - A Finish

In a recent post I mentioned that my newest grandbaby was born before I attached the binding to this quilt.  Now it's finished.

adaptation of Kim Diehl's Barn Stars

I began this quilt in September and finished it in November this year!  That's really speedy work for me considering that it's hand quilted.  The stars finish at 12" and are an enlarged adaptation of Kim Diehl's Barn Stars.  I find the pattern positively charming.  Surprisingly, not a single piece of fabric in this quilt was a scrap!  (But now I have lots of scraps in autumn colors.)

adaptation of Kim Diehl's Barn Stars

The batting I used is Soft 'n' Crafty, an 80% cotton/20% poly blend.  It's not super thick but it's great for hand quilting and makes a warm quilt.

The top finished at 48½" x 60½".  After quilting, binding, washing, and drying it measured at 46¼" x 57½".  It's perhaps a little large for a baby quilt but I say, better too large than too small.     

Here's the little fellow who now owns the quilt nestled beside his sister.  She's a great helper to her mom.


Sadly, I did not get a photo of him on the quilt or with it wrapped around him.  I had forgotten how very tiny babies are, even ones that weigh nearly 8 pounds!  And they keep their little legs pulled up for a few weeks so seem even smaller and shorter than they are.  As a two-week-old in his nearly-fetal position, I know he could have fit into one of the stars!  He'll grow into it.

I'm linking this post to
> Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
> TGIFF at SummerLee Quilts
> Can I get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
> finish it up Friday at crazy mom quilts
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

16 comments:

  1. A great baby quilt, IMHO, Nancy! I really love this design.
    And such a sweet photo of the new wee one and his sister.
    Yes, he will grow into it--before you know it, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I do love those barn stars, too. I noticed that in the original Kim Diehl made light stars with dark backgrounds and did not use sashing. It's another option to try the next time.
      You're right that he'll grow into it quickly. Time goes so fast. He'll be on his mission before we know it!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful finish, and an even prettier grand baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for both sweet compliments, Gypsy Quilter.

      Delete
  3. Your tiny grandson is adorable! I love Kim’s Barn Star and your quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. We think he's adorable, too. And I think I might make a Barn Stars quilt again. I really like the pattern.

      Delete
  4. Your new grandson will love his quilt as he grows into it. You're absolutely right about making it a bit larger so that he can use it for several years. It's also a perfect learning tool for colors, counting stars or squares, etc. Sweet photo of him with his big sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pat. I've noticed that if mom/day love a quilt, book, piece of clothing, the children are more likely to see and use it. I hope my daughter loves this quilt so Noah will use it enough to wear it out! I always thinking about what little ones can learn from a baby quilt -- colors, shapes, items printed on the fabric, etc. It makes for little conversations at snuggle or play time.

      Delete
  5. It turned out so nicely! Noah looks like he has bright blond hair in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brenna. Noah's hair does look blond in the photo but I notice it seems to look darker sometimes. Maybe he'll be a blond to begin with.

      Delete
  6. Quilts are just like hugs - and the bigger the better! He'll grow into that big hug from Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet sentiment, Gayle. I like the image of him being wrapped in quilty hugs from me.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful quilt and what beautiful grandchildren too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...