Friday, November 23, 2018

Little Baskets for Linda Brannock's Flowers Quilt

I finished the three little baskets for Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt.  They are really small:  the individual basket blocks finish at 3½" x 4".  They came out so out-of-kilter.

Block G, Baskets, for Linda Brannock's Flowers Quilt

















I've decided that perfection is highly overrated, especially when, no matter how much care I take, I just can't quite can manage to achieve it.

You can see the pattern at right.  It's not perfectly even or symmetrical -- just a primitive little basket.  And, obviously, I can't manage to follow a pattern exactly, either.  But the fact is, I don't believe I've ever seen a handmade basket that is perfectly symmetrical, nor two that are identical.  So I'm just going with my baskets as imitations of somewhat "realistic" little baskets.

Despite how catty-wumpus they are, I love them. 

These are the blocks I've completed for the quilt already.  There are four more to go.  It looks like I need blue and red with a dark background on the upcoming block on the lower left.  I know the triangle squares in the sashing will help balance the colors but I don't want to rely on them to do the whole job of balance for the quilt.


Sometimes I think having someone give me the fabrics for each block, or buying a kit, would alleviate the challenges I face with quilts like this that challenge my color placement abilities, but even I know I would just reconsider what was given to me and change things around anyway.

Sometimes, after I finish a quilt or part of a quilt, I think, "I should have used green there instead of blue" or "I should have used a print instead of a solid in that block."  Do you ever do that?

I would be thrilled to finish this top by the end of the year but there must be close to 150 triangle squares to make for the sashing.  Maybe, just maybe, I could get the top together by the end of the year.  Or maybe not....

This was my One Monthly Goal for November.  I'm linking to One Monthly Goal - November Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

I'm also linking to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Thank you for hosting, Sarah.

--Nancy.
.

28 comments:

  1. They are great little primitive baskets, Nancy!
    Look at all those blocks together--lovely!
    Sure, I second-guess my choices sometimes. If it REALLY bothers me, I try to change it before I get too far, but most of the time I just move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind compliments, Janet. Just moving on is probably the best thing to do.

      Delete
  2. I love your primitive little baskets! That is the joy of working with primitive style, every one is supposed to be different and reflect the whims of the maker. I obsess over color and fabric selection with every single quilt I make, always second-guessing after the fact. Slowly getting rid of that, realizing there is nothing perfect this side of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I can't seem to follow an applique pattern for my life so I suppose primitive is the best style of applique for me!

      It's strange that I can give up perfection in those little baskets but I'm still seeking it in color, balance, etc. And how often does anyone see a whole quilt at one time except when we show a photo on a blog or in a quilt show! It's craziness!

      Delete
  3. Your wonky little baskets are perfectly wonky, just like they should be. I always find things I wish I had done differently. I think that we are definitely our own worst critics. Just finish it and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie. I see your work and I think, oh, how perfect! And imagine all colors and fabrics were your first choices, chosen in minutes. I agree that we're our own worst critics.

      Delete
  4. Your little baskets are so sweet and look great with the rest of the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I hope the rest of the blocks work well with the ones I've already made!

      Delete
  5. Those baskets are adorable and they do look really lovely with the rest of the blocks you've done so far. What a fabulous quilt it is going to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kirstin. I hope all the blocks and the sashing triangle squares will work together.

      Delete
  6. Love your little baskets. Every time I see your work on this maes me want to do this one again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin. This has been a fun quilt to work on (but I think I liked Cheri Payne's Baskets of Plenty blocks even more). But it would be fun to make a second quilt and change the colors and fabrics, wouldn't it?

      Delete
  7. When some of the block patterns were still available, I came close to buying them on e-Bay, and now I almost wish I had. Seeing yours makes it so appealing. I think you are doing a great job with color and balance. Those baskets are wonderful. The pattern looks pieced, but the basket picture looks appliquéd, so I'm confused on which it is. Whichever, they look great! I've been thinking about doing some little ones on 5" charm square backgrounds. These might be a little bit TOO little for me to applique, though. =) Your quilt is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. The pattern for the baskets shows that the handle should be appliqued and the bottom pieced then sewn to the section with the handle. I elected to applique mine, all in one piece, because it was something I could take with me to work on while travelling. I love these little baskets but I would not want to do a whole quilt of them and probably not even a border. They're just so small.

      Delete
  8. Those are sweet blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little baskets fit in perfectly with the spirit of the quilt as a whole. If you'd made them with some sort of super-precision-magically-perfect piecing, they would have stuck out as odd. Embrace and enjoy their imperfect perfection!
    I dither and second-guess myself all the time. I'm practicing just letting go and moving forward. ('Practicing' is the key word here. I still sometimes end up with the seam ripper in hand and grrrr in my mouth...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gayle. I agree that truly perfect baskets would not look quite right with the rest of the blocks for this quilt. It's just not that style of quilt.

      I have to practice just letting go, too. I tell myself that no one sees a whole quilt at the same time (except on our blocks and in a quilt show) which should take a lot of pressure off, right?

      Delete
  10. I am full of admiration for your little baskets Nancy - they look perfectly in keeping with the style of quilt you are making :-)If they were completely symmetrical rotary cut type basket blocks they would look very out of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allison. I agree, perfect, symmetrical baskets would not fit with the style of this quilt, and I do love the baskets as they are.

      Delete
  11. Nancy tus cestas son preciosas ¡¡me encantan las cestas!!
    el grupo de bloques se ve genial.
    Algún día haré este edredón, siempre esta en mis favoritos
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Belarmina. This has been a fun and interesting quilt to make.

      Delete
  12. All your block are beautiful and get along so beautifully together. I think part of the joy in making quilts is the personalization you can add to it - you can make it any color you want. Those baskets are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shasta. Personalizing a quilt is so important -- and fun -- not just with the choice of color but also fabrics and, in my case, the adaptation of the applique shapes.

      Delete
  13. Before I read your post I thought that's how the baskets were supposed to be and didn't see them as out of kilter but as perfectly charming.

    I used to suffer from CPD (Chronic Perfection Disorder) but no more! I don't know the cure or I'd pass it on...I just woke up one day so over it!

    Congrats on accomplishing your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. CPD does become tiring. I hope to be cured one day soon!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...