Sunday, November 18, 2018

Red Xs for The 70273 Project

When I first learned of The 70273 Project I knew I wanted to make at least one block.  Janet's post reminded me just in time to cut a few white backgrounds and pull some red strips to take with me while visiting my daughters, just in case I might have time to stitch after finishing my little baskets for Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt.

I didn't have time while there but during the drive I was able to cut and fold some of the fabric for Xs and stitched one X today.


You can read more about The 70273 Project at The Barefoot Heart.  As of October 28, the count for XX blocks was 56,119.  And there are over 600 quilts already made from those blocks.

Each pair of red Xs represents the life of one physically or mentally disabled person whose life was stilled by Nazis during World War II. 

I was telling one of my daughters about the project and how powerful it was to see so many quilts together.  Below is a view of some of the quilts on exhibit in Munich, Germany, in September, 2018.
 


When I finish my blocks I'll post them along with the memory that caused me to want to participate in this project.

I'm linking this post to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Kathy.

--Nancy.
.

10 comments:

  1. I've meant to make some blocks for this project. Thanks for the reminder. Your blocks look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie. I was afraid I would be too late but it looks like she needs 15 or 20 thousand more! So we're both in good time to send a few.

      Delete
  2. Good for you, Nancy! It is a cause close to my heart, because of disabled family members.
    It is kind of overwhelming to me to be a part of something bigger than myself, and to realize how many lives were cut short that we are trying to not let be forgotten.
    Now I want to go make more blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your phrase about being "a part of something bigger than myself...." It's amazing how many quilters have responded. I think she's keeping track of all the contributors (that's probably what the submission form is for) -- I saw photos with the names of contributors somewhere on her blog.

      I'm having trouble choosing words to describe how I feel and what I think about the fact that the lives of the poor innocents were taken in such a horrendous way. I know it happened but it's beyond belief. And to see a representation of each life in such a vivid way really hits the heart. I wonder if all of the quilts will ever be exhibited together.

      Delete
  3. Such an amazing initiative. To see all those quilts with the red crosses truly does stir the heart. Your blocks will be a poignant reminder of the evil that was committed in Nazi Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kim. Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment. It is an amazing initiative. I hope I will get to see an exhibit of the quilts sometime.

      Delete
  4. That is a great project, and because of it, I became aware of something of which I was completely ignorant about Hitler's Germany. It was sad, it was horrifying, but I'm glad I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a horrendous time in the history of the world, wasn't it, Susan?! I knew that people with special needs were not part of Hitler's ideal person and were put to death but I didn't know a number. When I was researching a little I learned the about 300,000 were killed.

      Delete
  5. I had no idea about this until I saw it on Janet's blog. I, too, want to contribute at least one block. This is a huge "wow" project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This IS a huge wow project, Little Penpen. I wonder if they will ever be able to show all the quilts at the same time in one place. That really would be a wow event!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...