Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The Eye of the Needle for Pins & Needles Day

Pins and Needles Day was yesterday and I missed it.  But I found this fabulous video a few months ago showing how needles are made so I'm sharing it a day late.  (Turn down the volume unless you like jazzy music.)



Pins and Needles Day really commemorates the opening of a pro-Labor play by the same name, but we quilters know it can be a day to honor a few of the tools we use.  Or, it could also be a day to commemorate the times your foot falls asleep and you feel pins and needles when you try to talk on it.

However you want to celebrate (late), enjoy!

--Nancy.
.

6 comments:

  1. I never would have thought that needles and pins started out as spools of wire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, either, Karen. I can never get wire that's been curved to be straight!

      Delete
  2. Interesting to see how needles and pins come about. We take our tools for granted, don't we? I will be grateful for the sorters, who have the tedious job of looking for the flaws!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely take tools and modern conveniences in general for granted, Janet! The day after Thanksgiving I wrote a post for my ancestors blog expressing gratitude as a cook for things like running water inside our house, an electric oven, etc. But pins and needles! Off to the store for a new package, easy as anything. I have several boxes of new pins, probably an unheard of thing for quilters in the 1800s.

      One would have to have very good eyes or a very good magnifier to see imperfections in pins. I don't believe I could do it these days.

      Delete
  3. Nancy I looked back again at your three baskets because you know I have a hankering to make baskets sometime. The more I see them the more I like the fabric you chose. Meanwhile, I really had no idea how needles were made. This was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I'm so glad you like my little baskets and their fabric, Jocelyn. I'll look forwarding to seeing which pattern and fabrics you choose for yours when you make them. I enjoy learning how common items like needles are made.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...