Wednesday, March 27, 2019

A House, a Basket, and Two Crows

My first blocks for Sweet Land of Liberty are finished.  I have a house, a basket, and two crows, plus a few other blocks. 

blocks for Cheri Payne's Sweet Land of Liberty quilt

When you look at the house do you notice that anything's missing?  The first thing my husband said was, "The house is missing a chimney."  And then he commented that there wasn't really much room for a chimney even if I wanted to add one.  Ha!  I was going to ask my grandson to tell me what parts of a house he would include in a drawing but I forgot.  To my mind, chimneys are not essential -- at least for a drawing or applique.  A house must have walls, roof, a door, and at least one window, but not a chimney. 

No words, you say?  Well, no.  I'm not committed to the words that Cheri included in her version.  When all the blocks are finished and I see them together, I'll decide whether I think the words are necessary or not.  I'm not much of an embroiderer.

There is one thing I will probably change and that is the blue strip on the left side of the house block, simply because the color is too close to the blue "U" below it.  It won't hurt if it stays but if it bothers me too much, I'll change it.

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal March Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

I'm also linking to
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts and
> Can I get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

18 comments:

  1. These look lovely. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your house has electric heat and doesn't need a chimney--lol! Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Your comment makes me laugh, Karen. I guess the house is not primitive but modern. When we had a new furnace installed last year they drilled a hole for the exhaust rather than using the chimney. Strange new world! Thank you for your comments.

      Delete
  3. I really like this, Nancy. And since I love a cozy fire, I would want to add a chimney.:) But definitely not essential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I may yet add a chimney, maybe.... It's strange how I didn't even think of it, even while looking at Cheri's original house!

      Delete
  4. So glad to see that you've jumped back in. The blocks look great. They were so fun to make, this is bringing back a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I hope I can keep up this time though it will easy to slip behind a little knowing I have some of the middle blocks finished.

      Delete
  5. Interesting you should mention chimneys. My grandson was drawing a house the other day and he didn't include a chimney...when I mentioned it he said houses don't have chimneys anymore, even Santa has magic keys to get in nowadays. So I guess I was set right! Meanwhile, what a great basket this is, Nancy. Reminds me of your other Cheri baskets. I downloaded the patterns and still think I'll make some one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Your grandson knows a lot, Jocelyn! When we had a new furnace installed a year or so ago they did not use the chimney for venting but, instead, put the vent on the side of the house.
      I suppose that basket really needs the letters, so we'll see if I decide to add them.
      Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  6. I think the house is fine without a chimney and was one less piece to have to do. I don't think that blue strip needs to come out. I did not notice that you had two blues close together. You will probably have a similar situation in the quilt before you are done anyhow.. You did good, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts about changes, Karen. I'll leave the blue strip along the side of the house for now and change it later if I think it's a problem. And the chimney -- maybe I'll add a chimney, or maybe not.

      Delete
  7. Great work. I got that far on mine last year. I think the strip on the side is fine beside the u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin. I'm hoping I can keep up this year. At least I have parts of the middle blocks finished so that may give me a little leeway.

      Delete
  8. There's no chimney on my house and it's still standing after 28 years. Modern heating systems, you know! (wink) Your blocks so far look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Our house is about 60 years old and has a chimney but when we had a new furnace installed a year or so ago, they elected not to use the chimney but to put the exhaust our the side of the house near the ground. Yes, modern heating systems!

      Delete
  9. How exciting to be starting something new. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...