Friday, March 29, 2019

Cheddarback Challenges, Blocks 1-5

Cheddarback is a Block of the Month sew-along offered by Gay Bomers at Sentimental Stitches.  The blocks are free to download during the month they are published.  The quilt is a delightful, quirky, antique with blocks in two sizes, 12" and 5".  You can see it at the link above.  This is the first time I've tried to recreate an antique quilt.  It should be fun -- both the doing and the having.

Right off the bat with the first block Cheddarback offered a challenge.  (This is a 12" block.)

Cheddarback Block 1
Cheddarback Block 1

I love square-in-square and economy blocks but I struggle to place the triangles just where they need to be.  I finally figured out that if I folded the squares and triangles in the centers and pressed a crease at the edges, I could align the pieces.  It worked a charm for the four corner squares in this Rolling Stone block.

That system worked well when there was only one round of triangles, but not so well for a block with more.  The second round of triangles in the block below was harder to place accurately because there was no center crease on the first round of triangles, only the points of the squares.  Still I think I managed okay.

Cheddarback Block 2
Cheddarback Block 2

I'm trying to copy the original quilter's blocks, following her colors first, and then fabric patterns/style (stripes, plaids, small print, large print, etc.) next, if I have fabrics that are close.  In the original, Block 2 had a delightful green clover motif, but I didn't have anything close.  This was the best I could do.

Cheddarback Block 3
Cheddarback Block 3

I love how the creator of this quilt used clothing fabrics for some of the blocks, including finely corded fabrics.  I tend to think of them as less durable, but this quilt has lasted a very long time.

Block 4, below, used squares cut at 1¼" inch!  Just tiny!  

Cheddarback Block 4
Cheddarback Block 4

Block 5 was the hardest block of all to make because of it's set-in y-seams.  I'd never sewn them before and hadn't a clue what I was doing.  The construction seemed simple at first but not so by the end.  I should have researched how to stitch these kinds of seams when they turn at such a sharp angle.  The block came out okay but not great.  In the end I thought perhaps I should have started stitching from the center instead of from the edges.  This is one block that may get remade.  Do you have any tips to make y-seams easier?

Cheddarback Block 5
Cheddarback Block 5

As I look at the original Cheddarback quilt I think I may be in for even more challenging blocks over the coming months!  These are this month's blocks all together.



The original quilt's sashing has a white/off-white fabric with a small, loosely-scattered print.  I'll need  about three yards of whatever fabric I choose.  The only light fabric I have enough of on hand is this little rosebud print.  I think it is a little too feminine for this quilt.  And the background leans toward yellow/green instead of being strictly off-white.  I'll have to see what I can come up with.



As I've been working on this quilt I've been thinking about the person (probably a lady) who made it.  Where did she find the patterns, or did she create them?  How long had she been making patchwork blocks?  How did she choose her colors and fabrics?  Were they pieces of fabric left over from clothing she'd sewn or were they lightly worn fabric from old clothes?  Did she sew by hand or by machine?  Certainly she didn't have a rotary cutter and acrylic ruler:  all fabric would have been cut by hand.  That in itself is amazing to me.

And then I thought about Gay, so carefully recreating the patterns, figuring out measurements, writing directions, making pdfs of the the patterns available to us.  Isn't she wonderful?  Thank you, Gay! 

Gay called this quilt Cheddarback because that exactly describes the back of the quilt.  But what I want to know is this:  what is the difference between cheddar and orange?

I just learned that today is Piano Day 2019, always on the 88th day of the year in honor of a piano's 88 keys.  So I'm sharing "The Orange Fox Waits," a beautiful, gentle song created and played by Robin Spielberg.  Enjoy!



I'm linking this post to
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Finished or Not Friday and Busy Hands Quilts and
> Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

I hope you have a great weekend.
--Nancy.
.

14 comments:

  1. Nice work. I applaud you for tackling block 5. I run the other way from Y-seams!
    Happy Piano Day. I will come back and listen to the lovely song when I have a few more minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. This next set of blocks also has y-seams. Thankfully, Gay created an alternative way to sew it without he y-seams. I think I'll probably go the easy route!

      Delete
  2. I think you did great on all your blocks! Square in a square units are my nemesis, so I paper pieced mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I love square-in-square blocks but I struggle making them well. I remember thinking they would be really easy for a baby quilt, with so few seams. I quickly learn they aren't! Perhaps I can succeed at learning to make them well. (But I won't go so far as to paper piece them!)

      Delete
  3. You did such a wonderful job! [I'm resisting but intrigued/ inspired!]. Hints: for the second set of economy triangles, press the fold as previously. Flip the previous square face down and match the stitched crossing point of the triangles to the center crease, as would do with Wild Geese, sew scant quarter, a thread below that point. OR: same process but cut the triangles extra size, then square and trim afterward.
    For Y seams, make your seam allowances carefully with a Frixion pen, esp marking the corner points with a small dot. Put a pin thru both layers' dots. Sew from the edge to the dot, stopping with your machine needle thru the two marked dots[take out the pin]. Do not sew on thru the seam. Pivot around your needle and continue sewing back out to the cut edges. Work fairly slowly. You'll get the knack and it'll be easy. The Frixion pen [or chalk etc] will iron away. A sharp pencil works too for marking seams but is less removablle, tho on the back so not really seen..

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. Yes, that's what I finally tried for the second round of triangles, more or less. I tried to use the in to line up the center of the triangle and the point below. It worked but was a little more challenging.

      For the y-seams, I'll try your method. I assume, with this method, that the piece of fabric on top has no seam and the previous seam is on the bottom? Right?

      Delete
  4. I'm echoing Lizzy D. On Y seams, the most important thing is to mark those seam intersections. Just eyeballing it will always lead you astray, no matter how confident you are. (It took me years to learn that particular lesson!)
    Love all your blocks - your quilt is going to be absolutely wonderful! I especially admire you trying to work only out of stash; that's totally in the spirit of the original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gayle. Yes, the creator of Cheddarback seemed to use whatever was at hand, considering the variety of kinds of fabrics she used. I hope my fabrics will support me in this effort!

      I will not eyeball but will mark the y-seams (IF I ever attempt a y-seam again). (Oh, I'm sure I will....)

      Delete
  5. Block 5 does look tricky. I'll be interested to see more blocks in the future. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. For someone experienced in y-seams I suppose Block 5 was not so hard, but for me -- I'm glad it looks as good as it does!

      Thanks for hosting Peacock Party.

      Delete
  6. Great looking blocks! I especially like number 3. :)
    Have never heard of Piano Day but sure like the idea, being a music lover! Thanks for sharing that beautiful song with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Yes, I like Block 3, too. I think it is similar to a block Lori of Humble Quilts used for a sew-along a year or two ago. I had not hear of Piano Day either until someone else posted about it on her blog.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nancy, I love love love your blocks, especially the Twisted block! I am sewing along for this one too, and you really make me want to blog about it!
    It's been so long though, that the task seems daunting, but perhaps soon. I am also sticking with stash, except that I would like a solid cheddar backing. I keep wanting to slip cheddar bits in my blocks lol. Right now I have bits strewn all about as I select the next fabrics, and I am definitely going to be straying from the original as I do not have what is needed, but love love love this process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi. You are so kind to say so. I am enjoying this process of choosing fabrics for this quilt, too. I keep thinking about the quilter who made it, using what she had, and here I am, a century later, choosing fabrics I have that are as similar to hers as I have. Parallel quilters separated by a century, so to speak. Ha ha.

      Oh, I hope you'll begin blogging again! Just one photo and a few sentences to begin and I would love to see the fabrics you've chosen and what your blocks look like. Oh, please do begin blogging again, Heidi. I know your followers will be thrilled to see your posts again.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...