Monday, April 8, 2019

Periwinkle Vine, at Last!

Finally, a little finish.  In real life, this block makes me smile.  Maybe it's because I love red and green together?  This is Periwinkle Vine, the first block of Hospital Sketches, a sew-along offered by Barbara Brackman at Civil War Quilts

Periwinkle Vine for Hospital Sketches on Civil War Quilts blog

I spent a lot of time (maybe too much time) trying to decide colors and fabrics.  At first I thought, How hard can it be to choose two sets of three colors each, one for the periwinkle flowers, one for the trumpets?  Then I realized what a slim selection of reproduction fabrics I have in a limited selection of colors.  (This led me to wonder if I'd make the quilt if I had only three fabrics for the whole quilt.  Probably not.  I like variety too much and get bored with repetition.)



These are two colors/fabrics I considered but decided against.  I liked the color of the coral/pink trumpets but not the solid fabric.  And I didn't think I could make the blue work with any of the other fabrics I had. 

By the time I finished stitching this I noticed how wrinkled the fabric had become as I held it and moved it around to stitch down each applique piece.  I realized that I'd never seen a photo of a block immediately after it was appliqued and before it was pressed for photographs and presentation.  What a difference a wash and press make!  Of course, it's possible that other appliquers don't end up with their pieces being so wrinkled and that's why I've never seen a photo.

cumpled hand appliqued before wash and press for photographs

It needed a wash to remove the glue I'd used on some of the pieces.  I put it in lukewarm water with a squirt of Dawn dish soap and let it soak for an hour or so.  When I removed it from the water I squeezed it, then filled the basin with clear water to rinse it and let it soak again.  When I removed it I let it drip a while and when it was nearly dry I pressed it with a hot iron.  I was sad to notice that the blue fabric bled a little on all the fabrics, but a bit more on the muslin fabric.  I don't know what that's about, whether the muslin accepts dye better than the other printed fabrics or what.  It's so light I'm not going to worry about it.  After the blocks are layered and quilted I may try to get it out -- or not.

Periwinkle Vine for Hospital Sketches on Civil War Quilts blog

Most of my applique has been primitive-style so this was an interesting change and a fun challenge.  This more formal style seemed to ask for more precision, especially in the placement of the elements.   Barbara Brackman gave suggestions for getting accurate placement, including pressing the fabric in half in four directions.  I also used the pattern to help with placement.

On to Virginia Coxcomb, Block 2 of Hospital Sketches, and also Sweet Land of Liberty.

I'm linking this post to
> BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
> Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

16 comments:

  1. Your block is beautiful! I'm sorry to hear about the blue bleeding, but it isn't evident in the photo. I have had good luck with re-washing a piece that had bled with a few color catchers in the wash. It seems that 99 percent of my fabrics are reproductions and I still have trouble deciding which ones I will use! I guess that is part of the fun. I would be delighted to send you some reproduction scraps in reds, greens and blues. they are overflowing in the bins! You can e-mail me your address if you would like some. gwreed15ATcomcastDOTnet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Wendy. You know, I washed this in Dawn dish soap which others have said work like color catchers, but I guess not. The bleeding blue isn't too obvious but after the quilt is quilted and bound I think I will give the color catchers a try. It certainly can't hurt.

      Choosing fabrics and colors IS part of the fun but sometimes I want to hurry that process along so I can get to the stitching. And I'm always behind with the sew-alongs because it takes me a few weeks to decide whether or not to participate, which also makes me want to hurry. But there really aren't deadlines for any of the quilts I'm stitching (other than self-imposed ones).

      You are so generous to offer to share some of your fabric, Wendy. I would love to have some of your scraps but I'm going to resist. I probably need to learn to use what I have. Thank you for offering!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful block! I love your variety of leaves. My blocks are definitely wrinkled when I am done stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. I thought I might get bored sewing the same fabric for all the leaves.

      Delete
  3. I love the colors you have chosen for this block. So pretty. What a surprise having the blue fabric bleed. I'm glad it's not discouraging you from continuing on to the next block. My applique pieces get wrinkled too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I wondered if it was too much red but you can see it didn't stop me.

      I'd used the blue before and had the same problem but forgot until I'd put the block in the water. I hoped the Dawn dish soap would help but if it did, it wasn't enough to prevent the bleed. It's fairly pale but after the quilt is bound I'll probably try some color catchers and see if it helps. And I should probably wash the rest of that blue fabric before it bleeds again!

      I guess wrinkles are a part of a finished applique piece. Several who left comments also said theirs wrinkled, too. Do you wash yours or just press it when finished?

      Delete
  4. You have done a lovely job, Nancy! You may feel limited in your fabric options, but you always seem to make things work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I'm glad you think the fabrics in the block work. In person the reds don't work quite so well as in the photo but now that it's finished I hardly notice. It seems that fabrics and colors are a bigger consideration when I'm choosing than after a block or quilt is finished.

      Delete
  5. Good work on your Periwinkle block. I got mine started but have company so further stitching on it has to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I hope you had a pleasant time with your company. I learned that my daughter and my four little grands are coming for a few days over Easter. I won't be stitching then, either, and I will have to put away a quilt I have on the floor and needles, pins, and thread that might be dangerous for the 3-year-old.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous block, I can’t see any bleeding. My blocks are crinkled like that when I finish, I usually press them before I take a picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin. I'm glad the bleeding isn't noticeable. I guess nearly everyone's blocks are crinkled when finished. Do you just press or do you wash and press?

      Delete
  7. This is a nice reproduction project - so good to see someone doing it. :) And, uh, yeah - my applique blocks are always totally wrinkled by the time I finish stitching them. :) Sometimes I press them before snapping a shot, sometimes I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynnette. This is my first reproduction-style quilt and it's a different kind of challenge than the primitive blocks I've worked on in the past. I'm enjoying it. This is a Barbara Brackman sew-along and I think there are a lot of quilters working on it.

      Do you wash your blocks before pressing or just press?

      Delete
  8. Your colors and applique look terrific! I've been saving the patterns for this one, but haven't chosen a single fabric yet. I'm going to enjoy your blocks vicariously for a bit! (I love the blocks so far, and really want to do this one!)
    And my applique blocks have always ended up all squinchy and wrinkled by the time I'm done. I usually just press them and move on to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gayle. If you're like me with saving patterns, I don't get around to them. I hope you do better than me. It will be fun to see your blocks when you begin.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...