Thursday, May 30, 2019

May Goal Accomplished

There was lots to do in May for Lori's Sweet Land of Liberty sew-along (hosted on Cheri's Facebook page).  I knew I wouldn't be able to finish everything so I set a goal for what I knew I could reasonably finish.  I'm pleased with the progress, and especially pleased that I was able to get all of the vine and the two birds and star on the right side appliqued. 

Sweet Land of Liberty, Cheri Payne pattern

The hand, basket, berries, and eagle are ready to be stitched down (though the eagle has been flying around trying to decide exactly where to perch).  I still have to prepare the letters and stitch them into place, too.  There's plenty to do to be caught up but, on the other hand, I have July's sections finished already, so perhaps I'll catch up by the beginning of August.

Sweet Land of Liberty, Cheri Payne pattern

Just now I noticed that the heart fabric on the hand is the same fabric in the flag the angel is holding.  I may change the heart fabric.  I added a 1½" strip on the left side between the flying geese and the rest of the quilt (above) and a 3" strip (instead of the 2" in the pattern) on the right side between the economy blocks and the rest of the quilt (below).  I know that means I'll have to adjust the width in the rest of the quilt.  I hope it won't look obvious.  I wanted a quilt that was closer to 60" than 57".  I also want a longer quilt but I'm not sure if I can successfully accomplish it.

Sweet Land of Liberty, Cheri Payne pattern

I think this is my second primitive style quilt.  (The other, Baskets of Plenty, is still blocks waiting to be sashed and quilted.)  I don't know how this one will look by the time it's finished but I suspect it won't have the quaint, inviting, truly primitive appearance that Cheri's does.  But it will keep someone warm for a nap.

Since this was my One Monthly Goal for May I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal May Finish link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. Your blocks are so sweet and it sounds like you have a flexible mindset (often needed with primitive patterns!) when it comes to construction! I really like that angel with the flag - the curve in the flagpole really gives the effect of her flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia. I'm not a very experienced quilter, especially in primitive style, so it's a challenge to make adjustments not knowing what else I'll have to change along the way. I just hope it all works together in the end. That little flag pole had a mind of its own with the curve. I think the angel looks like she's flying at great speed. Perhaps she's trying to save America!

      Delete
  2. That looks great! You are on time, and I'm still on Unit 2. Probably Unit 4 will come out and I'll just be starting 3. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I think I would be on time if I had the letters and other applique shapes stitched, but I'm not too concerned about being late. I think I can catch up! Still working on Unit 2 is a good thing, right? You may remember it's taken me two times around to get thing quilt made (and hopefully I'll get it done this time!).

      Delete
  3. So pretty! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...