Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Sweet Land of Liberty Progress and One Monthly Goal

I'm only a week late finishing my blocks for the Sweet Land of Liberty sew-along.  That's okay, every block and every quilt will get it's turn for attention.


The second month's blocks for April included
> the "of thee I sing" angel with flag and banner
> the eagle and flag
> 4 pieced stars, and
> 12 flying geese (mine don't look very primitive)


Granted, I'll need to add hair to the angel and an eye to the eagle (and maybe some writing) but I'm calling this finished for April.

For May, the third month of the Sweet Land of Liberty sew-along (hosted by Lori of Humble Quilts on Cheri Payne's Friendship Group on Facebook) we have a lot more to do.  We'll be putting the top row of the quilt together and adding the upper border and part of the side borders, specifically,
  • sew all the blocks for the top row together
  • cut a wide strip for the upper border and sew the pieced stars to it
  • sew together flying geese for the left side and economy blocks for the right side, and sew those to either side of the quilt
  • attach the upper border to the first row of blocks
  • cut and applique a basket with a star
  • cut and applique about two yards of vines plus berries, stars, eagle on the top border
  • cut and applique the words, "Sweet Land of Liberty" on the top border
  • cut and applique a hand on the upper left
  • cut an applique two birds, a star, and the letters America along the right border

Whew!  This may be my month for watching lots of movies.  The hardest part for me will be choosing the fabric for the top border, though it will take time to prep the applique pieces, too.

My One Monthly Goal for May is to attach the top row of blocks together; attach the top border with stars; sew together the geese and the economy blocks and sew them to the sides; and prepare the basket, vines, and berries.  I think I can accomplish those things if I stay focused.  Whatever else I accomplish will be a bonus.

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal May Goal Setting Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.
I'm also linking this post to BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

12 comments:

  1. I like your blocks, especially the eagle. That’s a lot of work for the month coming up!! You will be challenged!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie. There is a lot of work to do for May and I am challenged, even though my goal is to accomplish only part of it! I'm so slow...

      Delete
  2. Lovely. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you framed "of thee I sing" with four different prints. It turned out really great. I agree with Jennie - it's going to be a challenging month of applique and piecing. Look forward to your progress pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. This quilt is such a challenge to me. It doesn't come naturally to me to work the way Cheri does. Not that I'm not enjoying the process, of course -- just feeling challenged. I hope I can finish everything for the month but I'm glad I my goal doesn't include finishing everything. I'll be posting about SLoL next week one day, I think.

      Delete
  4. You've set a lofty goal for yourself, but I'm confident you will achieve it. Your quilt is looking wonderful this far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I knew I probably wouldn't be able to finish everything for May so I'm glad I chose only the parts I was fairly certain I could accomplish. Even so, I've a little setback but I hope I can meet my goal!

      Delete
  5. Nice work, Nancy! Really like how this is looking so far.
    That is a whole lot more on your May "to do" list than I will accomplish, for sure. But you are much better at focusing and getting things done than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. If I weren't so scatterbrained I'd do better at meeting goals in a timely fashion and not have to rush at the end! I'm glad I chose only a few of the things on the list for my goal this month or I would feel totally overwhelmed.

      Delete
  6. Yes, you are progressing Nancy with all the blocks. Keep your sewing fingers nimble and good luck with your "to do" list. It's always useful to keep track and stay focussed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like the image of nimble fingers, Jocelyn. They do pretty well but I wish my brain were a little more nimble!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...