Sunday, June 2, 2019

A Sad Farewell

This is a my-life-when-I'm-not-quilting post.  
I won't be offended if you don't read it.

They say, "Life is merrier with an Airedale Terrier."  It's true!  It's more evident than ever after only one day without our dear Hannah.  She became an Aire-Angel yesterday.

Airedale Hannah
She was diagnosed with lymphoma last December.  Dogs with lymphoma usually live only four to six weeks.  We had the blessing of nearly six good months with her.  The past few weeks her health declined until we had to make the difficult choice to let her go.  How I miss her! 

Hannah came to stay with us as a 2-year-old foster girl in the spring of 2008.  She had been in a situation of neglect and abuse and was afraid of everything:  steps, doors, drawers, kitchen utensils, the computer mouse, lights, the TV, a sheet of paper, a change in flooring, men, hands, noises, and anything new.  And everything was new to her because she'd spent the first two years of her life tied to a tree with her brother.  She was not house-broken and did not recognize words.  It didn't take two hours for me to begin thinking about how soon we could find her a forever home (that wasn't ours).

I spent her first night sleeping on the floor with her because I wanted her to feel as comfortable and safe as possible in this new situation.  I was surprised that she nestled right next to me.  When the sun rose the next morning Hannah yawned, stretched, almost smiled, and did a little playbow.  Her eyes were alight with joy and, dare I say it, love.  I sensed that she recognized me as pack leader and felt that she belonged to this new place in her world.  That was when I began to fall in love with Hannah.

Airedale Hannah
So Hannah stayed and blossomed.  Her timidness with new people continued but she overcame her fears in so many other ways.  She gained confidence little by little -- safe throughout the house, safe in her fenced-in yard, safe for a walk, safe with me.  She learned her name and the basic commands:  come, sit, down, wait, and stay.  She also learned to "say please" with a sweet head bob:  at mealtimes I asked her to sit and wait, say please, then I kissed her on the forehead and gave her the okay to eat.  She loved squeaky and stretchy toys and often invited us to play.  Sometimes she was just as pleased to play by herself, grabbing a tissue box or one of her stuffed toys and tossing it around.  We used to laugh when she did this, which only encouraged her to continue or repeat the behavior.  Never laugh at an Airedale's antics:  it only encourages them.  Airedales have a great sense of humor and never seem to mind playing the clown if someone's laughing.

I consider it no small compliment that Hannah chose to love me above everyone else in our home.  She liked to be wherever I was, watching or interacting with me, and came to find me if I moved from a room while she was napping.  When I asked her for a hug, I usually received one.  There's nothing like a hug from an Airedale!

I spent most of Friday night on the floor nestled next to Hannah.  I didn't want her to feel alone and I especially wanted her to know that she was--and is--loved.  It seemed like we'd come full circle.

Being Hannah's adoptive mom has been one of the best experiences of my life -- both a blessing and a joy.  How I love her!  And how I miss her!!!

--Nancy.
.

30 comments:

  1. I am so sorry...what a blessing you were to each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. Hannah was definitely a blessing to me -- a great friend.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. You have taken great care of her and given her a good home for the final years of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute. I know Hannah will live forever in your heart. I am so sorry for your loss.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. But you gave her a wonderful, safe, loving home for 11 years and that is a wonderful thing. I know that doesn't make the coming days easier, so I'm sending some big hugs from me and my fur babies to help with the hardest days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  5. Oh, dear! I'm so very sorry for your loss, Nancy! What a sweet tribute to your beautiful Hannah. I'm just in tears because I know what a blessing our pets can be and how much they become one of the family. God knew she would be truly loved in your home and what a blessing you both were to each other. Thinking of you during this difficult time and sending hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. It's been hard. There are memories in every room in the house -- and she's not there.

      Delete
  6. My heart breaks with yours. How blessed you both were to share such a love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Nancy, I am so sorry. The loss of a beloved 4 legged friend is so very hard. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sad to hear about the loss of your beloved Hannah. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a dear pet--hugs to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy, I'm so sorry for your loss of your sweet buddy. Hannah was so fortunate that you found her and gave her the home and love she desperately needed to feel whole. And she gave back as much love as she received, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. Yes, Hannah was a very loving Airedale.

      Delete
  10. What a sweet story and a huge loss for your family. Sending quilty hugs (which I know won't replace those Airedale ones!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful that you found each other. I’m truly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for your loss. I lost my outdoor cat last week too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin. I'm so sorry for the loss of your cat, too. Heart-breaking.

      Delete
  13. My heart hurts for you. It hurts so much to lose a member of our family, and our best friend. Prayers for you during this time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. I appreciate your prayers.

      Delete
  14. My eyes are full of tears reading this, Nancy. What a loving and lovely relationship you enjoyed with your girl. And you are absolutely right, she knew she had found her soft place in this world with you.
    As you know we've been through the same thing saying goodbye to Lacie, the Dalmatian...Hubby still tears up mentioning her. Thinking about you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. I must have found your blog after Lacie was gone. Our pets are so beloved, sometimes we can't think of them without tears for a long, long time.

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness, this made me cry. So beautiful, that bond. From all that fear, to security and love.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...