Monday, July 29, 2019

Seeking Stripes, SLoL, and a Web

Specifically, red and white stripes, for two blocks in Cheddarback. 
The original fabric is a wavy red and white stripe.




I first chose this stripe, to the left, and used in it one block.  I thought it would be fine but after it was finished, I knew it was too pink.




Next, I used this fabric from my stash.  The color and "look" are better but the fabric is thick, like a bottom weight pants fabric.  I made the block anyway because I didn't have a better fabric.  (The striped fabric is used in at least two blocks.)


Then I found a shirt made of this fabric.  You can't tell from the photo but the stripes are about 1/16" wide.  Very narrow stripes.  I decided it was better than the other fabrics, so I unstitched the first block and replaced it with this.  It looks only slightly less pink than the fabric in the first block!


Of the three fabrics, I think the check looks closest in color to the fabric in the original block but the check fabric is just so thick.  At this point I have to decide whether to keep looking for better fabric or whether to settle.

If I'd been thinking ahead I would have saved all the reject Cheddarback blocks to become their own little quilt.

On  the Sweet Land of Liberty quilting front, I'm stalled on the sawtooth star with the images in the center block.

I thought of appliqueing the hand and flag and using pen for the letters.  I really don't want to embroider but I'm not sure I want to create and stitch tiny appliques, either.  I'll probably use pen.  I already traced the image on the reverse side of freezer paper so I can iron fabric to the paper and have the lettering facing forward when I trace it.  Indecisiveness is one of my downfalls. 

I'm trying to finish July's blocks for SLoL and have just this block to do.  I can finish a 12" sawtooth star in 2½ days, right?

We finally got past that awful heat, humidity, and high dew points of the week before last.  We had a few cool days last week but the temperatures are inching up again.

One last photo.  I don't like spiders very much but there's something about the fiber arts aspect of their webs that draws me to them.  This lovely is outside our breezeway.  Huge and gorgeous!

spider web

I hope you're staying cool (or warm, depending on where you live), and enjoying whatever you're doing.

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. Searching for the right fabric is always a challenge. Look like you are heading in the right direction! I also think most red and white stripe fabrics look pink from a distance. These are beautiful blocks no matter what the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouraging comment, Wendy. These Cheddarback blocks are some of the most unusual I've seen -- or maybe it's her use of fabrics that's unusual. Either way, I'm enjoying making them.

      Delete
  2. I admire your dedication to finding the perfect fabric--even unpicking and remaking blocks, but I agree with Wendy that all red/white stripes of this scale will appear pink from a normal viewing distance. Everything you have shown here looks good to me.
    That is a gorgeous spider web--mezmerizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I don't know if it's dedication or stubbornness! For some reason I enjoy searching for similar fabric to replicate the Cheddarback blocks. I know it's true that red and white stripes will look pink and I should just accept that, but I continue to hope to find a stripe that looks more red, similar to the fabric in the original. I was amazed by the web. Wish the photo were better, clearer, with a different background to show off the web.

      Delete
  3. My grandmother always liked the search for the perfect fabric. The search is part of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I absolutely agree, Michelle. Did you help your grandmother in her search?

      Delete
  4. You are so diligent. I like the stripe in the block you remade. The red is more distinct in it instead of blurring a little into the pink range. Wish I could help you with the embroidery dilemma. Maybe another flag in the middle of the sawtooth star. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Robin. I don't know if it's diligent or just crazy. I like the second red and white stripe better, too. I'm still hoping to find an even better fabric, but probably won't.

      For the SLoL block I just used a pen. I think it works okay, though I may add a little read heart and a gold star.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...