Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Update on My Quarter Cabin String Blocks

When I posted at the end of last month I'd made 80 of these quarter cabin blocks. 


I now have 110 of them. 


It's time to start thinking about strip sizes and how wide each strip should be.  The blocks will finish at 4" but set on point each will be about 5 3/4" across.  So each strip will be at least that wide, or I could make the strip 6", 6½", or even 7".

As far as length, with 110 blocks I could make
- 7 strips of cabins with 15 blocks would measure 86" long.
- 6 strips of cabins with 16 blocks would measure 92" long.
- 8 strips of cabins with 13 blocks would measure 74" long.
I'll need to decide whether the quilt will have a border because that will affect both the width and the length.


The next consideration is how wide the alternate strips should be.  Before I decide that I should probably decide whether I'm doing vines with leaves or something else.  If leaves, I need to decide how large they will be.

I wish I'd measured the space between the cabins when I tried this layout.  I'll lay them out again and measure.


I think the 110 blocks I've already made will be enough if I proceed with a strippy quilt with alternating strips.  I just need to devote some concentrated time and effort to move this quilt along -- decide on alternating strips, their width, and what to applique, then begin. 

I'm linking this post to Lori's Humble Quilts Stringalong post for July, 2019.  Thanks for hosting, Lori.
I'm also linking this post to
> WOW at Esther's Blog
> Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

16 comments:

  1. Wow! That is really awesome and will be so stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. I have yet to wash and cut that green fabric, and I haven't set it as my goal for August, either. I think I'm still deliberating about whether the cabins need to be bigger. Or maybe the vines need to be the dominant strip and, therefore, larger....

      Delete
  3. I love this one, it will be gorgeous however you decide to finish it. The dark green is a beautiful setting fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words, Pat. I do love the green, just have to decide whether the cabins are big enough or whether the vines and leaves should be bigger, and then I can move forward with these blocks.

      Delete
  4. It feels like one decision made produces more decisions. Quilting is planning, calculating, matching, and determination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, quilting is all those things, and then second-guessing one's self, besides.

      Delete
  5. This is going to be great! Love what you have going on here, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janet. Still pondering sizes, leaves/vines and maybe flowers....

      Delete
  6. I like that layout you've got going - especially the leaves of the same scrappy fabrics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about the leaves, Susan. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. I think that 110 is plenty with the alternating row. I'm still so happy with what you're doing - it's fun to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Susan. I hope to make progress on these blocks soon.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...