Friday, August 30, 2019

August Cheddarback Blocks

I've learned that if I choose fabrics and cut the pattern pieces at the beginning of the month, I can work on the blocks when I have a minute or two, if it's an easy block, or between other things when it's a more challenging block.  Below are the blocks for August, 2019.  You can see the originals here.  The first four blocks finish at 5", the last at 12".

Block 27
Cheddarback Block 27
Thanks again to Janet of Rogue Quilter for the package of scrap fabrics she sent a while ago, I found a piece of blue fabric similar to the original for this block.  Gay, creator of the blocks, suggested that if we wanted to take the easy way out, we could just make a pinwheel and applique the square to the center and cut away the back.  I would have done that but the scrap of blue I had was just barely large enough to cut the five pieces to exact measurements.












Block 30
Cheddarback Block 30
The original block had a darker brown fabric that caused the lines in the block to disappear visually.  I lightened the brown just a little.

Block 28
Cheddarback Block 28
This was a simple, straightforward block.  I wonder why Miss Cheddarback used the dark blue triangles.  They cause the star to almost disappear.

Block 29
Cheddarback Block 29
This was another simple block.  The pattern called for three strips of blue but I didn't have one long enough for to go from one corner to another.  I cut a center square and four strips.

Block 26
Cheddarback replacement for Block 26

The original Cheddarback quilt has three columns of five large blocks which makes the quilt close to square.  Gay offered us the idea to add one more large block at the bottom of each column and gave us the pattern for a 12" Lawyer's Puzzle block for the bottom of left column.  (Or, she said, "Please feel free to select another 12" block for your bottom row if you're not a fan of the one I'm using. It's your quilt - make it your way!"  Gay's so great!)   I thought a block with a stronger diagonal would fit better with the other blocks that already create a diagonal in line with where this one will be placed.  I'm not sure the blue is strong enough.  I think I'll have a better idea after I sew the first two columns of blocks together.  This block has several names but I first found it as Lily Quilt Block and used a pattern called Eagle's Nest.  You can read more about this block and its creation here.

Cheddarback Blocks 26-30


So, that's some of what I've been doing this month.  I really enjoy the challenge of finding fabrics similar to the those in the original quilt making these blocks.

I'm linking this post to
- Creative Compulsions My Bijou Life
- Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
- Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
- Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict


- Off the Wall Friday at Nina's blog

Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

16 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I just couldn't decide about the 12" block this month, so I'll revisit it in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne. I felt like that lower large block needed a strong diagonal to draw the eye toward the other blocks in line with it. We'll see how I like it after I get some of the blocks sewn together. I'm looking forward to seeing which block pattern you choose.

      Delete
  2. Your blocks are beautiful, so authentic looking!

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. I work toward authentic but it's hard when I don't have just-quite-right fabrics.

      Delete
  3. I'll make this short. I love your 12" block. It is so appropriate to the rest of the quilt. It's one of my favorite blocks anyway. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The person who created Cheddarback seems to me to have a particular way of making quilt blocks -- particular in the fabrics she used, the colors she used, and the blocks she chose.  I wanted a diagonal block in this corner to carry the eye up to the the large block two columns over.  I found a better one but couldn't find a pattern for it.  I researched this block to be sure it was created during the late 1800s to early 1900s or before. 

      I'm glad you think it fits.  Thank you, Robin!

      Delete
  4. Gosh those are really great blocks and the fabrics you chose are so perfect for them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alycia. I hope the blues work together when the blocks are all sewn together!

      Delete
  5. What is the name of the block you used for the 12 inch block?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has several names, Jeanette.
      Lily Quilt Pattern (at https://oldepatchart.com.au/product/15-x-1880-cheddar-or-butterscotch-antique-lily-quilt-pattern-quilt-blocks-12-x-12-hand-pieced/) and in Ginny Beyer's The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns
      Lilies or Lily in Rhoda Ochser Goldberg's The New Quilting & Patchwork Dictionary
      Des Moines in Maggie Malone's 500 Full-Size Patchwork Patterns
      Eagle's Nest in Judy Hopkins's 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks
      The Corner Star, The Crowfoot, The Spring-time Blossom, and Sweet Gum Leaf in Beyer's The Quilter's Album...

      Delete
  6. I think you have done an excellent job creating vintage-looking blocks. There appear to be some that present challenges I am glad I didn't take on--I am such a wimp. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Janet, you're not a wimp.  Look at the tiny, tiny quilts you make!  I don't believe I could ever work with such small pieces on a regular basis -- and that's a wimp.  Thank you for your kind words about these blocks.  I wonder if I/we will think these are still vintage-looking when they're all stitched together into a quilt.  We'll see, but really, however it looks, done is done.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work! I love this quilt, but am finding the piecing to be a real challenge. Just downloaded the September patterns today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank  you, Jean Belle.  I'm with you all the way -- love this quilt but some of those blocks are just so darned hard.  There are several that I've completely remade and I haven't sewn any of them together yet because I think two or three of my 12" blocks are just slightly too big.  They're not blocks I can cut smaller without cutting away triangle points, either.  The dilemma is whether to remake them completely or unstitch seams and see how I can restitch them so the blocks will be slightly smaller.  Sigh....

      Delete
  8. Your blocks are looking really nice! It looks like a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michelle.  It is fun and it is a challenge, too!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...