Thursday, August 1, 2019

Lady Liberty, Little Dolls, and a Tinman

These are last month's blocks for Sweet Land of Liberty which I didn't finish till this month.  This was a sewalong last year at Humble Quilts, repeated this year at Cheri Payne's Facebook group, which explains why I have some months' blocks completed already.


My Lady Liberty is different than Cheri's pattern.  I based this one on Robin's Liberty though they don't look much alike.  I also lengthened and widened both of these blocks.

Lady Liberty needs a face.  I think she looks very serious so perhaps I'll draw her features similar to the face on the right.  Keep it simple for a primitive quilt.


Here's Liberty and her shadow.  Don't you think she looks elegant on the right, sturdy on the left?


I finally decided to draw the words and images on the center of the sawtooth star.  I tried to find Micron pens in colors, specifically red, blue, and green, in the correct size.  I had a 50% off coupon for Michael's but they were doing a reset and had put all the pens in the back.  No help there, so I used the 08 black I already had.  I might add a little red heart and a gold star.  I traced the pattern in reverse on freezer paper then pressed the fabric to the paper and traced the pattern.  Worked like a charm.


We were to make 4 economy blocks and a dozen flying geese.  I just keep making both so I hope these aren't ones I posted last month.


I finished July's blocks the first time Lori hosted this sewalong last year.  Here they are, except for the 4 flying geese, which I didn't photograph.



Many thanks to Lori for hosting this sewalong again.  I think I might be able to finish the top this year!

--Nancy.
.

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful blocks, Nancy. What a fun sew along too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these blocks are so nice. Love the lady liberty and I always think it's good to change things up to make our quilts our own. The economy blocks are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cynthia. I often wonder if pattern designers would prefer that quilters follow the patterns they make more closely than I do but I really think they probably don't care and I'm fairly certain that Cheri hoped people would go their own way with her patterns.

      I've come to love making economy blocks now that I don't mind if the squares are floating. It makes them so much easier. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I really wanted to join in on this one, but no pattern threw me totally--i just love how your blocks came out..and i like your Lady Liberty a lot..lovely work on this one...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Julierose. I was grateful that someone shared a pattern with me but even so, I've been making up some of them myself. No pattern at all would be really intimidating -- at least to me.

      Delete
  4. I love your Lady Liberty. Such a fun sew along. I did it when Lori first did it. I loved working on it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. I began it when Lori first did it but couldn't keep up. I'm glad to be able to finish this time around. It is a fun sewalong.

      Delete
  5. Your Lady Liberty and the Pineapple blocks are so fun! I'm wishing I'd had time to join in the SAL. You are going to have a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I'm not sure I'll like it as much as Cheri's original but it will be fun to have my own.

      Delete
  6. What a sweetheart of a Lady Liberty! I love her! I went back and looked at my Lady Liberty. I think I need to put something on her sash. It just looks so plain. I still have the fabric I collected for this quilt all in one box. I never redistributed it into my stash. I think I was just being lazy but I'm glad I still have it together because I need to make more economy blocks. I agree with a comment to made previously - this quilt needs to be wider. So, another horizontal row of economy blocks will be a good start and then I'll figure out where to go from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I love yours, though. I just didn't want to steal your design. I don't remember thinking that your Liberty's sash looked like it needed more....

      Delete
  7. Your blocks look great! Your statue does look more elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks look great! These are all in my future, as I'm still working on the border around units 1 and 2. And not very fast, either! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get it done, Susan. I think the blocks are time-consuming and some are harder than others (at least for me). It sounds like you're more patient than I am. I'm not working on as many quilts as you are so maybe I just get bored easily, too.

      Delete
  9. I love each section of your quilt!! You are moving right along and I'm happy to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did you piece the points for the top of the pineapple? I am stumped...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...