Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Little Rubies, Green Fabric, Quarter Cabins, + ScrapHappy

I haven't written about Little Rubies for a while.  She is sandwiched, basted, and a little less than a third quilted.  It's going very slowly, though.  Perhaps because it's summer, or maybe because I'm devoting more time to hand applique, or maybe because I'm a little tired of her.


Robin's post reminded me how peaceful and comforting I find hand quilting.  If I quilted one complete fan (six arcs in sequential sizes) every day, I could have this quilt finished in 49 days.  I doubt I will succeed with that schedule but I could at least work on the quilt every day.

This is a poor photo just so the quilting is visible.  I don't mark fans which means some of the arcs are a little wobbly.  I don't mind.  This is just a homey, comfortable quilt, quilted to keep the three layers together, not for show.


And then there's that green fabric.  Six yards, all in one piece.  I've had a heck of a time talking myself into cutting it, or even washing it.  I'm much better at using scraps than cutting into yardage.


But I washed it today and I measured how large to cut the side-setting triangles.  I'll start with a few that are 7",  just to see how they work.  They'll be a little large but it's easier to cut smaller than make larger.   The fact is, I've never made strips from squares and triangles and I don't exactly know what I'm doing.  Let's hope I've got the idea right in my mind!


Sometimes, as with this quilt, I wish ideas for quilts popped into my head fully formed with all the details for the quilt from start to finish:  the colors and fabric to use, the sizes to cut, placement of pieces, the order to sew....  I don't suppose there would be much fun in the process if that happened, though, would there?  I'm sure I would get bored with it quickly.

For anyone who's reading for the first time, on the left are the scrappy quarter log cabin squares I'm using to create a strippy quilt, and on the right is my current idea for the layout, but with more colorful leaves, I think.



Just for fun, this is a photo of today's grey and ominous thundery sky.  I love thunderstorms! 


From these clouds we had a little rain and no thunder or lightening.  A few minutes after taking this photo, the sun shone through the clouds on the opposite side of the road.  Glorious and beautiful!


I'm linking this post to
> ScrapHappy at talltalesfromchiconia
> Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
> WOW at Esther's Blog
> Midweek Makers at QuiltFabrication
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

Thanks for visiting!
--Nancy.

22 comments:

  1. love your comfy quilt and free form fans! i too love a good thunderstorm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Grace. We've had too few thunderstorms around here this summer but I hope for more in the next month or two!

      Delete
  2. I like your idea about quilting; I agree, it should be comfortable and hold the layers together, and I don't mind about the odd irregularity or varied stitch sizes. Your scrappy blocks are looking good on that green backround!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kate, and for your kind words about the blocks on the green background. I hope they all come together in a great quilt.

      Delete
  3. Love your hand quilting progress! That green is just such a great color to show off the multi-color log blocks and your vines yet to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeanne. Yes, I think that green is a great color, too. It's got just enough blue it in to almost make it teal. It was a surprise to have the inspiration to put the blocks and the green together, and even more of a surprise when they looked so great together.

      Delete
  4. I love that Ruby piece a lot--it must be wonderful hand quilting it...
    I like your idea for setting those 1/2 log cabins--this will be so pretty hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words about Little Rubies. This is the second year in a row that I've made a two-color quilt early in the year. I do love the brown and red but I'm having trouble getting to the quilting of it. I do a little and then I'm done for a while. I need to push myself!

      I hope the log cabins with the vines and leaves work out. I'm still considering the vine strip and whether to have just leaves or leaves and flowers or leaves and berries or all three....

      Delete
  5. I adore Little Rubies. You are making great progress to me, but maybe that is because I have had the same quilt in the hoop for a few years now. (Can you see me blushing?)
    Your quarter log cabin quilt is going to be so fun and funky! That is a compliment, BTW. :)
    I really love a good thunderstorm, too. And we could use one any time now--so hot and dry here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I have to keep pushing myself to quilt Rubies. For some reason it's easy to just let it rest in the hoop and ignore it as I sit watching TV. Maybe she will become like your quilt in the hoop for a few years (and I'll be blushing, too!).

      Funky is a good word to describe those cabins. The colors and fabrics are are so varied in style.

      Delete
  6. Your little rubies is a stunner for sure - just terrific. It must be so fun to quilt it in a free form way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia. That quilt has so many different browns -- and reds, too -- that I hope the finished quilt "works." I do enjoy the casualness of quilting without lines.

      Delete
  7. I love your little rubies quilt, and that quilt is perfect. If the arcs were perfect, it wouldn't have that cozy homespun look to it. That is a fabulous quilt. I'm in love! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Yes, I think imperfect arcs gives a quilt an "old" look -- unless, of course, the quilt looks modern.

      Delete
  8. Good you're cutting a bit larger, as a just in case. I do that a lot, cause I'd rather size it down that have to go back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one to go with safe rather than sorry when it comes to size. But I suppose there's a fine line between cutting so large that I waste a lot of fabric and cutting just large enough...

      Delete
  9. Little Rubies is going to be so great! Love the classic baptist fan motif. Your scrappy log cabin quilt will come together soon. Sometimes ideas just need time to gel so you can figure out the process you want to use. Thanks for sharing your journey on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging words, Jennifer. Sometimes I take too much time making decisions about a quilt but I've found that when I rush into a decision I sometimes regret the outcome!
      Thanks for hosting Wednesday Wait Loss.

      Delete
  10. I agree. Hand quilting is peaceful and comforting. No need to put a quota on it—just enjoy. It will be done eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that attitude, JanineMarie -- no quota, enjoy, and it will eventually get done. I have to push myself a little on this quilt, though, because I really do want to quilt others but don't want to have two quilts being hand quilted at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...