Friday, December 6, 2019

Choosing Fabrics for Cheddarback Blocks 39-43

Again this month my One Monthly Goal will be making five blocks for Cheddarback, a sew-along offered by Gay Bomers at Sentimental Stitches.  The originals of these blocks are here.

possible fabric choices for Cheddarback Blocsk 39-43Some of the blocks in this quilt are so quirky.  For example, the hexagon-like block.  It's hard to tell whether or not the shapes were true hexagons when the quilt was first created.  Over time they've definitely changed shape a little.

And the little basket, top right.  In the original quilt, created decades before the word Nazi was in common use, there is a swastika.  Because we associate the swastika with such evil I don't want to include the pattern in this quilt, but I'd like to stay a little closer to the two-color block and the shapes used in it.  I'm thinking of four little triple bar squares.  But we'll see.

The fabrics are so often a challenge.  A fun challenge, but still a challenge.  And a chance to play, too.  The fabrics above are possibilities.  Some of the fabrics are used several times in the original blocks.  I'm trying to follow that lead but sometimes, it seems, I've used the last scraps of a fabric for the first block and have to find other fabric the next time it's used.  Such a fun challenge!

There's less than the usual time to devote to quilting in the busy month of December.  Most of these blocks are fairly easy, after the fabrics are chosen, so I think I should be able to make these this month.  And that's my One Monthly Goal.

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal December Link-Up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.
.

12 comments:

  1. I need to get busy on this. It takes me so long to pick out the fabric each month. You're smart to pick them all out before you begin. I usually just do it one block at a time. I'm sewing the little Tree SAL from Temecula Quilt Co. The little blocks only take about 1/2 hr. to make. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Robin. I think picking fabric for these blocks often takes me longer than making them -- at least the easiest ones.  My theory is, if I have the fabric ready in a stack, I can at least cut when I have a few minutes.  But everyone has their own best work method, don't you think?
      That little Tree SAL is cute but I couldn't take on one more thing just now.  I keep thinking about Pam Buda's little sew-along, though....

      Delete
  2. I think the hardest part to quilts like these is choosing all the fabrics so they'll go together nicely--yours look great...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Julierose.  The strange thing about this quilt, though, is that (in my opinion) I'm not sure all the original fabrics do go together!  I think she used such an odd assortment, and I'm trying to follow her lead.  Still, it's hard!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  I've had to go somewhat far afield from Mrs. Cheddarback's original fabrics this month.  Sometimes I just don't have the "right" fabric.  But the blocks look fine and I doubt whoever sees this quilt in person will compare it to the original.

      Delete
  4. I admire your dedication to trying to find fabrics as close to the originals as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Janet.  I didn't have much success finding similar-to-the-original fabrics this month.  The similarity ends with color, and even those are iffy.  But the blocks are done and I'm happy with them. 

      Delete
  5. Happy block making. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been happily saving the patterns for this, but I haven't started it yet. (January is looking good for starting...)
    I was amazed when I read the directions for that hexagonish block - I had assumed it was applique - wow the piecing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Gayle, I think if you start in January you will be caught up by the end of the month because you work so fast. 

      My first thought for the hexagonish block was to applique it and for a few minutes I thought about piecing it but decided against it.  Mine is not as evenly placed as in the original but I'm good with how it is.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...