Friday, January 10, 2020

First Foundation Paper Pieced Block

This is the result of my first attempt at foundation paper piecing.  You'd think it would be perfect but no, those side triangles contorted the block a little so it's askew.  It's possible that the points in the corners will not be points when I sew the sashing on.  I'm not going to remake it, though.  I think it's good enough for a first effort. 

Cheddarback Block 46, foundation paper pieced
 
I used Gay Bomers's directions, here, and I thought they were excellent.  She used a much simpler block than this as an example.  I had trouble getting the hang of reverse -- the printed side of the pattern is the back -- and I kept making thoughtless mistakes. 

Do you know dogs and their behavior?  Have you ever seen a dog go through a difficult experience?  Maybe it was tumbled by another dog, or perhaps it fell from a step, or maybe it chased a cat or a rabbit that got away.  It had a rough time but the dog picks itself up, gives itself a good shake to right itself, then trots on to the next adventure.  I wish I had a little video to share.

Anyway, I feel like that dog after this first attempt at foundation paper piecing.  It was a rough experience but I've shaken myself right again and am working on the second foundation paper pieced block for Cheddarback this month.

I'm glad this block is finished!  One fifth of my One Monthly Goal down, four to go.  In the word of my blogging friend Robin about the blocks for this month, "Whew!"  I agree.

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. The thing with foundation piecing is that it is back wards and upside down but consistent. You can not assume you understand it. I have been doing it for many years and did one little piece on a very simple block no less than 4 times yesterday as i was getting back into it. Your block looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris.  I appreciate the heads up not to assume anything with foundation paper piecing.  As I work on this second block I've noticed that I keep checking and rechecking to make sure I have the next fabric on in the right direction, that I don't cut away more than just the extra fabric beyond the quarter inch, etc.  It is not a technique I like, at least not yet!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful result! And proud of you for trying. I loved your description of the dog shaking itself right and moving ahead! Yay!

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  I think foundation paper piecing will be one of those techniques I use as little as possible and only out of necessity.  I guessed you would recognize the description of the dog shaking itself right.  Does Mo do that?

      Delete
  3. It looks terrific. You must feel like you can conquer the world! The next paper pieced block isn't as hard, just bigger. You'll be done in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  There are really some problems with it but -- oh well.  Yes, it was very satisfying to have finished it and have it be so close to square and have all the points where they should be.  I've started the next block, the 12" one.  I like the fact that the pieces aren't so tiny!  But then there's that star to do, too.  That will be a hard one for me.  And I think I'll cut the pieces for the Ohio Star just a thread or two larger and take a slightly narrow 1/4" seam.  Several more people on the Facebook group commented about the Ohio Star being too small.  I can only imagine how hard it must be for Gay to make these patterns!

      Delete
  4. What a fun block, for some reason it reminds me of a 1940s style quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenna. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did. Fun thought of 1940s.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...