Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Shades of Brown or, Ohio Winter Browns

This sweet little quilt is the result of a three-week sew-along offered by Lori of Humble Quilts over the past few weeks.  Thank you, Lori!  She calls it 50 Shades of Brown.  I think I will call mine Ohio Winter Browns.  It's true that these browns are all in our landscape in the winter, if we look closely.

50 Shades of Brown sew-along quilt

Both photos here were taken in natural light but the one below was in a shady area outside.  I think the first photo is closer to the true colors.  How I love browns! 

50 Shades of Brown sew-along quilt

I was behind the second week because I was out of town -- to the ocean! -- but easily caught up last week.  I'm in the process of layering this in preparation for basting and hand quilting.  We're going to be in the car for a few hours this week and, with a small hoop, I think I can easily quilt while riding.

For the sew-along, Part 1 here, Part 2 here, Finale here, and Linky Party here, where you can see the quilts of everyone who made this quilt and wanted to link a finish, including me!  Thanks again, Lori.

--Nancy.

12 comments:

  1. Great little quilt, I love the additional bits of pink that show up in the borders. Pink and brown are wonderful together. I loved visiting Assateague way back when, over 40 years ago. A big storm had just moved out to sea, and the ocean was still washing up loads of shells including a lot of large conch, some of which we brought home with us. Somewhere along the way we lost them when some boxes went missing in one of the many moves during those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  Those pinks were a happy surprise when I finished the quilt.  I love pink and brown together, too, but rarely use them together.  Maybe because I don't have many true pinks.  My eye seems to gravitate to the pinks that lean toward salmon/apricot/coral....
      Lucky you to be at the ocean after a storm to see what the tide left behind!  I've not had the experience of finding larger shells in the sand, always just smaller ones.  To my eyes, beautiful no matter the size.  I know how it goes with losing things in a move.  Maybe sometime you'll be at the shore again after a storm and find more large conch shells!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I wasn't sure about the big stripe at the top but I think it works despite the disproportion (or maybe because of it).
      I wasn't thinking about chocolate when I looked at that little quilt until you said "Delicious!"  Now I'm on the hunt for chocolate. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Nicely done! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do for the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful.  The quilting will be so simple. 

      Delete
  4. Yours turned out very nice! I don't think I have that much brown, but I could do it with blues. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan.  You could do blues!  A few others chose blues and they came out great. 

      Delete
  5. Good job, Nancy. As I was basting mine to start the quilting I was mulling over name possibilities and came up with "Mud Pies." Not nearly as appetizing as something chocolate related. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet.  Mud Pies is a fun name.  Mud comes in some beautiful shades of brown!  But as you say, not as appetizing as chocolate. 

      Delete
  6. Every one of these quilts are beautiful in their own way and yours is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Sue.  One of the most fun things about these quilts, for me, at least, is seeing the variety of brown fabrics everyone has used.  So interesting!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...