Friday, November 20, 2020

Big Finish, Little Finish

I finished two--yes, two!--quilts this week.  One was a small, quick, fairly easy finish, the other took much longer.

The Blue and the Gray Civil War-style quilt

The big finish was preparing for and binding The Blue and the Gray quilt, a pattern from the book The Blue and the Gray: Quilt Patterns using Civil War Fabrics by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene.  I doubled the size of the original quilt and made 9" 9-patch blocks and 4½" cornerstone blocks and sashing.  The color in the above photo is more accurate than the one below.

The Blue and the Gray Civil War-style quilt

I thought about using red binding but finally decided on dark blue.  It mostly disappears against the dark blue sashing.  I like the rounded corners on this quilt.  I think binding around a curve is a little easier than binding a corner.  

The Blue and the Gray Civil War-style quilt

In the photo above (if you click to enlarge it) you can see how the quilting curves to mirror the rounded corners.  And the photo below shows the backing fabric though the color is just slightly off.  The fabric is more grey than brown, as it looks here.


I'm really slow when it comes to stitching bindings and with November being both a short month and one with a holiday, I set this as my One Monthly Goal.  I'm pleased to have accomplished it before Thanksgiving.

My daughter was here when I finished this quilt and asked to use it while she was watching TV.  She asked what batting I'd used because it seemed warmer to her than other quilts I'd made.  I told her it was the same but I thought maybe the backing was slightly thicker.  But now that I think about it, it seems to me that darker quilts are warmer.  What do you think about that?  I know it's probably not true; it's probably a psychological thing but I think it's funny she thought it was warmer than other quilts.

The little finish is my version of the 50 Shades of Brown sew-along shared by Lori of Humble Quilts on her blog a few weeks ago.   I call mine Ohio Winter Browns.  When winter comes to Ohio this year I'll take photos of our browns and post them with this quilt.  Thanks for the great little sew-along, Lori.

50 Shades of Brown quilt

This quilt finishes at about 15½" x 19".   It has a layer of muslin instead of batting.  I was surprised at how much it shrank and crinkled.  I love that about it, and the fact that it's soft and pliable (instead of stiff like other small quilts I've made with batting between the layers)!

50 Shades of Brown

The quilting is simple:  diagonals in the 4-patch blocks, around the edges in the larger squares.  I quilted it by eye, that is, without marking any lines, and it's very primitive quilting.  I'm good with that. 

It was late one night when I was ready to cut the binding.  I remembered that Janet of Rogue Quilter had posted a tutorial for binding a miniature quilt.  I was so glad to find it!  Thanks, Janet. 

I have no intended use or purpose for this quilt.  My daughter insists that her cat, Jack, would love it as a Christmas gift.  Ha!  I really don't think Jack would appreciate the hours of time spent on this quilt.

I'm linking this post to
> November One Monthly Goal Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts
> Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions Of a Fabric Addict
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Brag about Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
> Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
> BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
> Off the Wall at Nina-Marie Sayre's blog
Thanks for hosting, ladies.  Dear readers, click through to see more creativity at any or all of these links.

--Nancy.

22 comments:

  1. Both projects are wonderful, so authentic! Beautifully made. Your border choices for Ohio Browns are inspired, perfect.

    Did you use bias binding for the Blue and The Grey? It looks great.


    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet praise of these quilts, Lizzy.  I cut binding slightly off grain but not a true bias.  The curved corners on Blue & Gray were big enough that there wasn't a problem.  If the curves had been smaller I would have had to cut a binding closer to true bias.  I was just thankful those curved corners lay flat!  I had visions of cups around the corners.  Haha.

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous finishes--I wonder about darker quilts "feeling" warmer (or seeming warmer?). Dark does retain heat more...hmmm interesting theory...
    hugs from afar julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  It's probably only in my mind that they feel warmer, but I know dark quilts do look warmer to me. 

      Delete
  3. Funny how daughters always have good ideas about what their mother's should make or what to do with quilts they have their eye on. Excellent rounded corners on the blue and grey quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gwyned. I'm pleased when one of my daughters wants one of my quilts for herself or her family but not quite so pleased to give it to a cat.
      I was concerned that the rounded corners would be bowl-like so I was happy that they lay flat.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your finishes--they both look great! I started cutting and sewing Lori's Fifty Shades before my hospital adventure, but haven't touched it since. I'm not sure what I will do with mine when it's finished either--there aren't any cats in our family--lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen.  I hope you're feeling better and better each day.  One of these days you will be back to sewing and quilting.  No cats make life simpler, I think.  At least you won't have to argue with a cat about who owns your quilt!  Haha.

      Delete
  5. Two finishes, and both of them gorgeous. I love the rounded corners of The Blue and the Gray, bias cut binding? 50 Shades is far too pretty for a kitty bed, and I suspect they prefer nice soft plump batting anyway. Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  I cut the binding slightly off-grain, not on true bias.  There was enough ease for these larger curves.  I'm pleased the rounded corners are flat.I had the little quilt on the ironing board and cat Jack was sitting on it but I'm sure he would enjoy a softer bed.
      Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

      Delete
  6. Two great finishes, Nancy. Have loved the Blue and the Gray from the start. Had to smile about the "dark quilts are warmer". Never gave that a thought before now.
    Your little SAL quilt turned out very cute.
    Glad to know the binding tutorial is helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.  I was glad I remembered your binding tutorial.  Next time I think I will cut the binding at 1 1/8".  Even though the binding fabric was relatively thin and the quilt was thin it was a slight stretch to make it fit around the edges with enough to turn under on the back.  With such a thin quilt I thought, a quarter inch for the seam on both sides, plus a quarter inch to cover the edges, and an inch should do it.  I guess it just needs that 1/8" extra for ease.  But, it worked and it's fine and I'm happy with it.  So thank you again for the tutorial.

      Delete
  7. Very nice finishes. Hum, dark quilts might be warmer? It might be true if they were by a window with sun beaming on them. Dark colors absorb heat well -- which means I try not to wear navy blue or black during the summer months. So, maybe there is something to that thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie.  I'm sure it's just my imagination that dark quilts are warmer though I definitely believe they look warmer.

      Delete
  8. Both are beautiful - but that Blue and the Grey is just awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on two lovely finishes. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Blue and Grey! Always liked that one. Now that'a a quilt's highest honor: to get put right into use fresh off of binding. Don't know if color affects warmth but every quilt is a hug worth having!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vivian.  I guess  you're right that being put to use immediately is a high honor for a quilt.  And, I agree, a quilt keeping someone warm is like a hug.

      Delete
  11. Love the curved corners. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty.  I think I'll use curved corners on future quilts, if they seem like a good choice for the quilt. 

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...