Sunday, December 20, 2020

A Little Late

maple leaf quilt in autumn colors

I had hoped to layer, baste, and begin quilting Autumn Maples in November.  I ordered fabric from a new-to-me online store on November 6.  I wanted/needed 6 yards, their website said they had 4, so I left a message that I'd really like 6 yards but to contact me.  They indicated the fabric should arrive in about two weeks.  Sometimes it becomes a fiasco to order online but this time I couldn't find fabric locally so I didn't have much choice.  After several back and forth conversations including a text to a land line, the fabric finally arrived on December 6 -- a little late -- with less than four yards.  Not enough for the back.  What to do, what to do?  (The company offers great prices and selection but communication is a problem.  I'm not sure I'll order from there again.  Perhaps only if I don't hope to get the fabric quickly.)

This is the fabric I ordered.  I love it!  And I think it's about as perfect a fabric as I could have chosen.


Since I needed 6 yards for the back, I finally decided to choose a second fabric, a solid, to make up the difference, either a teal/blue, if I could find one, or some other color.  I finally chose a red, shown below.  In real life, the red is just a bit darker and a little less rosy.  I wasn't sure about it at the store but seeing it with the maple leaves and the other backing fabric I think it will be just fine.

maple leaf quilt in autumn colors

I'm thinking of putting the red in the center with a wide border of the teal/blue around all the edges.  If I have enough fabric.  I have to calculate measurements before I'll know.  And I probably won't get to it till after Christmas.  How I wish I could have had this in the hoop in November!

As far as the quilting goes, I'm thinking of quilting curves in each block, Baptist Fan-style, with the direction of the arcs changing in each block. We'll see how that goes when I can finally begin.

I hope all is well in your world.

--Nancy

16 comments:

  1. Lovely red choice and teal for the backing...and that fabric you sent for is lovely...I can see why you wanted it...this is such a beautiful quilt!! Hugs from the "frozen tundra" here ;000 Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  When I order online I'm never quite sure the color is accurate.  This time it was and I'm so pleased. 

      I hope you're staying warm in your frozen tundra.  It's been cool here in central Ohio but not freezing, though I understand Christmas day will be 18 degrees.  Brrrrrr.

      Delete
  2. How frustrating for you! But your plan to go forward sounds good. It will make for some great New Year’s quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was frustrating but I'm so grateful that at least the color of the fabric is as it appeared online.  I hope I can get the back together and get the quilt basted before the end of this year, Jennie.  We'll see.  I'm looking forward to quilting it.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes backings can get to be a hassle. It may be easier to split your teal fabric and use the red in the middle--not as much figuring as centering it. I always look for the least work when it comes to backs--lol! Your quilt is going to be beautiful. I think your quilting plan will look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about the hassle of backings, Karen.  I nearly always have to piece backs, not wanting to spend money on the part of a quilt that's rarely seen and rarely having 6 yards of any fabric.  I like the idea that if the quilt is turned down at the top, the teal will show instead of the read but I may go for the easy route with this back and just do strips. 

      Delete
  4. Beautiful choices! I am sorry if the resource was one I suggested.

    How about a giant Maple Leaf for the backing? LOL. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  No, the company wasn't one you suggested.  It was quiltedtwins.com.  I can't remember how I heard about it but I thought I'd give it a try, give it my business because it seems like a small company owned by two women.  If I order from them again I'll order long in advance of the need. 

      No large maple leaves on the back of this quilt!  The two or four seams to make a simple backing are just about enough for me right now.

      Delete
  5. That fabric you ordered for your backing is beautiful, and does go wonderfully with the leaves on the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  I was so pleased it looked the same in real life as it did on the computer.

      Delete
  6. You're right, that backing fabric is perfect. I'm sorry you couldn't find enough for your needs. I just put a quilt on the frames too. Two widths of the backing was 4 inches short of being wide enough. So, I sewed two strips of the leftover pieces to each side. I'm not sure how it's going to end up. Sometimes the backing shifts as I quilt. I hope this is not one of those times. I saw Laundry Basket Favorites II that has some fabrics in the line that look like they might match. But it isn't available till March. And, you'd have to pay full price.
    https://www.fatquartershop.com/laundry-basket-favorites-2-yardage
    This is such a lovely quilt. I look forward to seeing the quilting as it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin.  Oh, to be just 4" short for a backing!  I hope your backing/quilt top don't shift as you quilt this one.  That would be awful!  Thanks for the link to the Laundry Baskets fabrics.  Beautiful and yes, that one does look perfect, but too late. 

      Delete
  7. Sorry for your backing hassles. Sometimes I *really* miss the days when I could drive to any of three nice quilt stores, near enough to me (in MA/NH). I think the red is a nice addition to your backing. If it were me I would just make a strippy backing and not worry about centering at all. Your leaves are beautiful and when you are quilting it in the new year, you will know you have a major jump on fall 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  I'm sorry for the backing hasles, too, but it will all work out.  I guess they just push me to improve my problem solving skills.  Ha.I wish there were several quilt stores near me with great selections of fabrics.  There are two in opposite directions and both are relatively small shops.That's a great thought, to have a fall quilt ready before fall!

      Delete
  8. I love this quilt, and I think you found the perfect backing fabric. When it comes to backs, I keep them as simple as possible. I have already put enough energy into the front--I just want the back done, so I would probably just put a strip of red through the back, as wide as needed to cover the subject. And I would probably make it off-center, so I wouldn't need to stress over getting it centered. But that is just how this lazy quilter operates. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.  I like simple backs, too, and would have loved to have the same fabric for the whole back.  I guess I like the idea of blue showing around the edges of the quilt back, almost as if the whole back were blue but, no doubt, when I begin calculating measurements to make a rectangle in the middle, I'll probably choose a strip, too. 

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...