Thursday, April 15, 2021

A New Start for April ScrapHappy Day

The 15th of the month is ScrapHappy Day, hosted by Kate and Gun.  The idea is this:  nothing but scraps for whatever we're working on.  Find links at the end of this post to visit others using scraps.

I had some small pieces of black and tan plaids left over from these blocks and some blues/greens/teals/aquas left over from this quilt.  At some point I get tired of seeing the stacks and began thinking about using them.  But what to do with them?  How to use them?  What to make?  I had a few ideas but dithered.  Then I realized I have enough scraps (with more in the making) for more than one quilt, especially if they're small, so I just began  These are my ideas.

Square-in-square blocks, 4" finished.  Many, many together.  I thought to make this size because if the plaids are cut smaller they would hardly look like plaids, and because of the sizes of scraps I have.  I love the seeing greens, teals, and blues together, but I'm not sure this would be a great quilt.  Boring, maybe?
Economy blocks.  These may be more interesting but the scraps I have won't go very far in making these blocks.  I haven't sewn any of these yet.  Perhaps a few amongst the square-in-square blocks?
Simple alternating 2" finished blocks.  I think this could be simple or more complex depending on the placement of the colors.  I was thinking about the neutral color/fabric for these blocks.  Which do you see as the neutral?  The blues/greens or the plaids?
I've noticed that when I look at these plaids in person they are definitely black and tan, but when I see photos of them at a distance they blend to greys.

Part of me asks, "Can't you find something more interesting to do with these fabrics than squares?"  One of my holdups is always the question whether the pattern choice I've made is the best use of the fabric I have.  Sometimes I'm sure it is, other times not.  And these plaids are so busy!  Can you imagine these small pieces of fabric (none bigger than about 5" or strips longer and wider than about 2" x 12") creating a different block?

I need to start a new quilt like I need a hole in the head.  I already have too many quilts in progress and not enough time or motivation to finish them quickly.  I've found that I can talk myself out of almost anything (except chocolate) so it's possible that I won't get far with these before deciding against turning them into a quilt.  Maybe they're just scrap play.

Before you go, please go look at the very scrappy baby quilt I just finished.  I love it!

If you're inclined, visit these other scrap-users to see what they're up to. 
KateGun, EvaSue, Lynn, Lynda, Birthe, Turid, Susan, Cathy,  Tracy, Jill, Claire, Jan, Moira, Sandra, Chris, Alys, Kerry, Claire, Jean, Jon, HayleyDawn, Gwen, Bekki, Sue L, Sunny, Kjerstin, Vera, Nanette, Ann, NancyDawn 2, Noreen, Bear, Carol, Preeti and Edith.

Thanks for visiting.
--Nancy.

18 comments:

  1. I think you were onto something with that first pattern, Nancy! Thanks for the link to your recent finish. It was definitely worth another look... LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input about the options of these scrappy blocks, Joyful.  And for the comment about the baby quilt.

      Delete
  2. have fun with your plaids - scrappy play is good, love the idea. The baby quilt is gorgeous and despite the problems the backing is charming, baby will love it as she grows up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for both comments, onesmallstitch. I like the idea that the baby will love the quilt as she grows. I hope she thinks of it as being wrapped in love.

      Delete
  3. I love the way the plaids are randomly pieced! And while I like the first design, the simplicity of the second one speaks to me.
    I think there is no one right design. As long as you are happy with what you are making, that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Janet.  I like the pieced plaid blocks, too.  I have a few larger pieces of plaids but most of the scraps are smaller, hence the piecing.  If I make this quilt it will definitely be a utility quilt.

      Delete
  4. I liked the idea with square in a square! And you could use more colors in the frames! I would mix red, orange, purple fabrics with the blue, but then I always get carried away when I´m planning a quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Unknown. I am often tempted by more colors, bright colors, to!

      Delete
  5. I think I prefer the first design too. In answer to your question about what looks neutral in the second layout, I would say the plaids as the overall effect (at least in the photos) is grey although it may look different in real life.
    The baby quilt is a triumph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tialys, for your kind words about the baby quilt, for sharing your thoughts about which pattern you like, and which is neutral in the 2-color layout. The plaids look more grey in photos than in real life but still lean toward grey.

      Delete
  6. It's funny how I can have a quilt on the frame and blocks ready to applique but all I want to do is sit in front of the machine and sew. I understand your desire to want to start something new. I wondered if black would look good in the mix. Hope you can get those scraps used up - it's so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the difference between doing handwork and machine sewing, Robin.  I can only do so much handwork in a day and sometimes sewing on the machine is a nice change. 
       
      I started this idea because of the ScrapHappy Day and I needed something scrappy.  (I think I'll bow out of that group because I'm just not prolific enough to keep up with a finish or a start every month.)  Anyway, it will be great to use up these scrap, though I think I'll have to dip into some fat quarters or larger pieces to make a quilt of any size.  Or, maybe it will just be a small quilt.  I don't know.  No plan at all, really.

      I do have a black plaid but I'm not sure whether it's too dark.  I'll have to cut a few squares and give it a try.

      Delete
  7. You know how I feel about scraps---life is too short. That said I love the first square in a square, esp the pieced together centers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy.  The square in square seems to be the one other commenters like, too.  I'm uncertain but I think I may have enough fabric to make both.  We'll see.

      So, I did not know that you don't like to use scraps!  Do you not use any scraps or only scraps smaller than a certain size?  And if you don't use scraps, what do you do with them?  I don't think I could make a quilt without scraps....

      Delete
    2. Toss them in the bin. Life is too short. Use the good big yardage, why is that gorgeous print [whatever] sitting there gathering dust! Etc etc. Scraps give me the heebie jeebies.😉😉

      Delete
    3. LoL.  You are so forthright and honest, Lizzy.  But I could no more quilt without using scraps than you could ... what?  Than you could ignore the ocean?  But to be honest, there are some small scraps that I do throw away.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...