Saturday, June 5, 2021

June, 2021's, One Monthly Goal

It's Burgoyne Surrounded this month.  My goal for June is to make one block only, as a test block, and then I can decide whether to make a whole quilt.  I think the blocks finish at 15".
They have many small parts but it won't take more than 20 blocks to have a twin-size quilt!

From the photos above (a screenshot from a Google image search) you can see that there are many variations in color placement for Burgoyne Surrounded blocks.   Mine will be at least somewhat scrappy.  If I had to use identical fabrics for 20 blocks I would get bored.  I don't anticipate this block (or group of blocks if I make more) being a 2- or 3-fabric block!

I'm itching to use these 4-patch blocks I've been sewing as leaders/enders (when I remember).
They are 1½", the perfect size.  I'm hoping the darks will be consistent enough to carry the diagonal from corner to corner.  I'll play with colors and fabrics, in the color range of the 4-patches but probably somewhat brighter, for the rest of the block and see what I come up with.

There are a few Burgoyne Surrounded quilts that I like here, here, here, and here.

I'm still quilting Autumn Maples but I just couldn't bring myself to post another photo of it again this month. 

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal June Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful block, your scrappy version will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  I've decided that if light and dark are the carriers of the pattern (and I think they are for this block) then color will matter less.  But we'll see!

      Delete
  2. A good plan to make this from scraps. I agree that using few colours and making every block exactly the same is boring. I don't think I ever tried; just the thought makes me stop before I've started! I'.looking forward to seeing how you get on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marly.  My block is finished and I hope to post it soon.  I honestly do like how 2-color, 2-fabric quilts look when they're finished, but I just can't make them.

      Delete
  3. I will love seeing what you come up with for your block. It's a tedious block to make but so rewarding especially in a whole quilt, blocks connected. About 20 years ago I finished a twin sized Burgoyne Surrounded, a friend's UFO, and it remains one of my favorite quilts to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  You're right, I found the block a little tedious -- so many small pieces, so many seams -- but also very straightforward.  I think I will make more, probably enough for a quilt.

      Delete
  4. I've always been intrigued with this block. It's just so striking. I'll learn with you as you go along and am interested to see what a scrappy version will look like. Glad to hear you aren't giving up on the maple leaves. I kind of feel a kinship that you are starting a new quilt before finishing another. It's just what we do. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This block has attracted my attention, too, Robin, though until just recently I didn't have any thought of making any.  I've finished one and think that the pattern holds because of the lights and darks more than because of color, but I think the ones that use color for the Xs and Os probably stand out better and are more striking. 

      Oh, I shouldn't be starting something new with so many blocks to sew into tops and so many tops to layer and quilt... but here I am!  I wish I were faster!

      Delete
  5. I have Burgoyne Surrounded on my bucket list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed making this block, even with its 90+ pieces. I hope you enjoy it too, QuiltGranma, when you make one.

      Delete
  6. Interesting plans I have a Burgoyne Surrounded quilt nearly finished. It needs applique in the borders…..someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your Burgoyne Surrounded, Jennie.  Maybe you have already posted it?  It's not a speedy block to make but I really like it. 

      Delete
  7. I've always liked that block, especially in two colors. I look forward to seeing yours and what you decide about making a whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan.  I think two colors is more traditional than multi-colored so we'll see how this one looks.  There are 97 pieces in each block so it's not a speedy block to make.

      Delete
  8. OOh Burgoyne Surrounded! I made one based on ModaLissa's version a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, lots of pieces, but so satisfying because the blocks are so big. The biggest decision is to figure out which part of the block you want to emphasize. (Probably why that block is so enduring.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw Moda Lissa's version in an old magazine the other day. What fun! I think mine might be a little less colorful than hers. Yes, about the emphasis part. I've seen so many Burg.S.'s with the emphasis in lots of different areas of the quilt. Such variety!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...