Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Away and Home Again

My daughter and I spent last week--well, three days of last week because two were spent driving--at Dewey Beach, Delaware.  Like most of you, I am anticipating fall weather and the change of colors.  It was a strange contradiction to have summer weather.  Still, who can ever get tired of watching the ocean?  Not me.
I think it's the only place in the world where I can and will sit and do nothing.  I know that about myself and yet I packed my project box with plenty of applique and prep work to do.

My box is a beautiful cigar box that came my way, from where I can't remember.  I love the red, aqua, and green and the paper trim around the edges.  It is a perfect size at about eight inches square and nearly two inches deep.
I never lose the lid because it's attached.  Inside I always have scissors, a box of pins, a bottle for needles, a bobbin or two with thread for basting, orange sticks for turning edges, a small ruler, and a seam ripper.
Depending on what I'm working on, I add spools of thread in the colors I'll need.
And there's still plenty of room for applique pieces--a few small ones and a stack of larger pieces, too.
When everything's packed I close the lid and slip an elastic band (maybe it's a large hair band) around the box to hold it closed and I'm ready to go.
But do you suppose I added a single stitch while sitting on the beach watching the ocean's waves roll in?  I did not!  The ocean captivated me. 
There were times when the ocean was boisterous and the waves crashed in sequence, following each other along the beach almost as if they were one long wave, going a quarter of a mile up the beach--always from south to north.  They were noisy!
This is the first time I noticed that the waves sometimes come it at an angle, toward the south or toward the north, or perpendicular to the beach.
Our hotel was next to the beach and our room had a floor-to-ceiling window.  We could see the ocean with nothing but glass, dune, and sand between.  It was a treat to put the table in front of the window and sit there for lunch.
I've been home since Friday evening but I'm having trouble getting back to everyday life and activities.  I need to choose a monthly goal by tomorrow.  I'll have to choose something really motivating.

There's not much autumn color here yet but I have my autumn maples quilt out, so at least there's that.

I hope all is well in your part of the world!

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. oooh lovely photos...the ocean changes every single day...i miss being there so much...nice little traveling box too! in new england we have definite seasonal changes but here in MD it's october but still summer temps...keep waiting for that crisp cold fall air...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace. I love how the ocean is always the same yet always changing. It's fascinating to me. When will autumn temperatures come to Maryland?

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sand and sea. Nothing better. I love seeing how you organize for applique. Such a nice system and a pretty cigar box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia.  The system is really pretty lose--just so it all fits in the box!

      Delete
  3. Love that cigar box holder for your hand work...I collect chocolate tins for storage of ongoing handworks (of course I have to eat those chocs first hahaha) Lovely pix of the ocean's waves roaring into the shoreline...I can also sit and just gaze out at the ocean and the horizon...thanks for sharing..hugs, Julierose P.S> Are those basket handles i see folded on top in your "works basket"??;)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a collection of chocolate tins, too, Julierose, but have quit using them because I notice bits of rust appearing. Of course, eating the chocolates is right up there with quilting, right?
      Yes, those are basket handles. I'll post about them later.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you got to go to the beach. It looks delightful. If yu want Fall at the east coast beaches, mid-November is time to go.

    Your travel box is perfect!

    I am glad you're enjoying your Falling Leaves quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. I was thrilled to get to the beach, whether it was fall weather or not. In fact, it was probably better it was more summer-like so we could enjoy being on the beach.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful cigar box. I have several wooden ones where I keep Valdani threads - some were free and some I bought for a few dollars. Some brand called Acid cigars really has a wonderful scent. The boxes are just so useful. I have a few of the cardboard ones, too, but not one like yours. The ocean pictures are beautiful, and I agree with sitting and watching the waves, listening to them crash on the shore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I have some cardboard boxes, some wooden ones without paper, and a few more of these wooden ones that are paper-covered. I love them all and find uses for most of them. Despite the fact that I don't enjoy the smell of cigars in the process of being smoked, I find some of the tobacco smells good. I'll have to look for Acid cigars if I ever get to a cigar shop.

      Delete
  6. The ocean looks so soothing. I was born right next to the Pacific Ocean but we moved to the mountains when I was 3 yrs. so I don't remember it at all. I'm glad you got to go for a respite. Your little project box is so efficient. We haven't been anywhere but home for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the ocean is soothing, Robin, but this year I noticed for the first time, it can be very loud, especially if the waves are big. Still, pleasant to just sit and watch. It's too bad your parents moved when you were so young.

      Delete
  7. Around here one can go to a place that specifically sells cigarettes, and cigars and purchase the cigar boxes you choose from the ones they have saved for that purpose. I have a couple of wooden ones, and have plans to add a latch opposite the hinges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are cigar stores around here that sell boxes, too, but most allow smoking inside which can make the boxes smell smokey instead of sweet like fresh tobacco. I haven't been to one for a while.
      A latch is a good idea, especially for the wooden ones. I chose against one because I was afraid it would catch on clothes, especially sweaters. I'll have to rethink that and look at latch options.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...