Thursday, October 21, 2021

The Vintage Quilt we Called the Cuddle Quilt

I loved this quilt at first sight for its dominant red and green colors.  Now it is in tattered rags after years of regular, rugged use.  (It's been folded away for 20 years.)  We've always called it the Cuddle Quilt because my young daughters spent hours on it, under it, or with it wrapped around them, sometimes with me holding them.  We found it at an antique mall in 1986 or 1987 and were too poor to buy it outright.  We put it in layaway and finally brought it home six or eight weeks later.

I didn't know much about quilts or quilt patterns then.  After close examination today I realized that each block has a red center, an hourglass block on each side, and log cabin-ish blocks in the corners.  (For anyone who wonders, the green in the photo below is most accurate.  Was it was called Nile green?)
When four blocks are joined, the small red corner squares form sized red squares similar in size to the center squares.  Except they don't exactly line up.  And the green cabin blocks don't exactly align, either.  Was this a scrap quilt?
There are an abundance of floral fabrics.  That red and white floral print is used again and again.
There are some non-floral fabrics, too.   I think the fabrics are from the 1930s-1940s.
In some of the blocks the hourglasses are made of the same fabrics, in some they aren't.
It's a hodge podge of colors (mostly pastel) and prints (mostly floral), all contained by the red squares and the green cabin-ish blocks.  A quirky quilt, don't you think?
Did you notice that blue and pink Kaffe Fassett-style print?
The stripes in the block blow are printed, not stitched or patched as I first thought.
There are irregular green strips in the corners, below.  Some blocks don't have green all the way around.
More stripes, not necessarily the same in one block.  These seem to be clothing fabric.
This quilt was tied with yellow string, mostly worn away.  Instead of batting it has a flannel blanket.  The fabric on the back is red. 
A fairly large hole on the back, above, had been covered and primitively repaired, with a second repair in the middle of that one and another at the corner.  Below is the repair on the front.  Some of the edges, too, were in bad shape and had been fixed.  Or not.
I loved this quilt when we bought it and I love it even more now that I know a little more about quilts.  But the question is what to do with it?  Lori's antique quilt block challenge comes to mind but I don't think there's a single piece of fabric in this quilt that's strong enough to withstand being unstitched and have fabric reattached to the edges, then quilted.

What to do?  What to do?  It's in such bad shape, but can I really throw it away?  What would you do with a quilt like this?

--Nancy.

10 comments:

  1. It's a terrific quirky quilt that holds lots of memories for you and your children! With a quilt like that, I would make some practical repairs where the batting is exposed, and save the quilt! If you have room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth, I think the quilt probably holds more memories for me than my daughters, Cynthia. Neither seems to hold objects in much esteem, even ones they've loved in the past. (I'm old-fashioned in that way, I guess.)
      I've thought of repairing the quilt but the fabrics are so thin and worn, I'm not sure repairs would hold, even through the batting and backing. I'm still pondering. It did cross my mind to make a new one but where to find a green like that, and such a variety of similar fabrics!?

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful and so special how you and your family loved it. On some of the photos I see an Ohio Star block, maybe. But it seems quite unique. If it were mine I'd save it for when your grandchildren visit and can cuddle one more time. It is so loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see the Ohio Stars, too, Lizzy.  I don't think it stands out strongly because of the printed fabrics around it and those cabin corners, but it's there.Honestly, the fabric in the quilt is so fragile I would be afraid to use it for anything, even a gentle cuddle with my grands.  I wonder if I could find enough similar fabrics to make a new one....

      Delete
  3. I think there's still enough life and love left in this wonderfully quirky quilt to serve a new generation of kids on backyard picnics, tent-making over the dining room chairs, and naps on family camping trips. So many memories in that quilt, too special to just be thrown away just yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. It's really too fragile to use, but, indeed, I can't throw it away just yet. Maybe a remake... if I could find similar fabrics?

      Delete
  4. Thank you Nancy for sharing this wonderful quilt. I'm quite taken with it and I would have to keep it as the memories you have tied to it are quite real still. I really enjoyed seeing how it was constructed and isn't it interesting to imagine the woman who had originally sewn it. She knew some of the common blocks of a certain era to include and had gathered a nice supply of floral scraps it seems. Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn. Yes, plenty of memories, especially for me. I wonder about the woman who made it, too--how she collected her fabric, how she decided on blocks and layout, etc. I think I will go over it more closely and see if I might be able to make a new, similar one--a reproduction, so to speak. It would be a fun challenge--a real challenge, probably!

      Delete
  5. What sweet memories! Like others have said, why don’t you save it to use with your grands…a no worries kind of quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric in the quilt is so very fragile, Jennie, it almost falls apart at the touch. And I know it's so silly, but I think I would worry about using it with my grands and really ruining it beyond being able to look at it now and then. I'm still considering whether I might be able to make a new, similar one.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...