Saturday, November 27, 2021

Still November - Saturday Snapshots

I know so many people are ready to decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving, but I can't give up this beautiful month yet, this wonderous time of focusing on gratitude.  So here are a few snapshots, before Christmas celebrations begin.

I've always been amazed at the leaf prints left on pavement after a rain.  Leaves, but not quite leaves.
A few Sundays ago when we left for church, we discovered frost on a chrysanthemum plant.
Frost flowers, rabbit frost, rabbit ice, ice ribbons
Frost flowers, rabbit frost, rabbit ice, ice ribbons
Frost flowers, rabbit frost, rabbit ice, ice ribbons
It looked like spun sugar/cotton candy, but it's called frost flowers, rabbit frost, rabbit ice, or ice ribbons.  It was just totally amazing, one of those wonders of nature you read about and see photos of but never see in person.  (You can read more here, here, or here.)

Just for a little perspective, this is a photo (of a photo) of old-growth trees in Kentucky, probably late 1800s or early 1900s.
While visiting my daughter in Kentucky we went to a Chautauqua presentation at her local library given by a reenactor presenting Lilley Cornett, a miner who worked to protect the old-growth forests of Kentucky.  I was simply amazed at the size of the trees!  There is still a protected section of old-growth forest in Kentucky.  Some day I hope to visit.

And now for some refreshment....  Are you old enough to remember choosing one of these?
Beeman's, Clove, and Black Jack gum
Which was your favorite?  My grandmother chose Beeman's.  My favorite was Black Jack.

I suppose we'll be needing a sign like this soon, if not already.
To those of you who celebrated Thanksgiving, I hope you had a wonderful one.  As for me, I've been in pain from what my doctor suspects is sciatica.  Oh, ouch and double ouch.  For the most part I missed most of the joys of this holiday.  Still, there are plenty of blessings and challenges to be grateful for.

--Nancy.

10 comments:

  1. My DH loved anything and everything licorice so whenever I happened upon the Black Jack, I'd pick up a few packs for him. GROSS! LOL (I like red but NOT BLACK licorice). I even found licorice Altoids and got several cans of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny to me, Sherrill, that you find licorice gross, but how kind of you to buy it for your husband. I'm sure he adored you for that!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that you are in pain. I hope you get relief soon. I've had a horrendous sore throat the last few days. If it doesn't let up soon I'll have to go in and get a strep test. Those frost ribbons are fantastic. I've never seen anything like them. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your sore throat, Robin.  That means you probably didn't get to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner as you might have.  Did you get tested for strep?  I hope you don't have it, and I hope you feel better soon. 
      Seeing the frost that morning was such a surprise!

      Delete
  3. I hope I didn't press publish twice, if so pls delete previous.

    I always love your photo posts. The ghost leaf is so cool. The frost ribbons seem like hoarfrost? I have never seen the phenomenon. {i have to go back to read your links.]Beautiful.

    Sorry you are in pain. Sciatica seems to be a curse on many quilters. Warm pad used ofren may help.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Lizzy, your comment only published once.
      I think hoarfrost is a little different. The images I found at google look beautiful! The frost seems to cover the edges of leaves and sometimes the branches, fences, etc.
      A heating pad has been a great help the past week and a half.

      Delete
  4. I, too, love those leaf stains on the side walk. They are so pretty. Sorry for the pain you are suffering. Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers, QuiltGranma. I appreciate them.
      I didn't see many leaf stains this year and was happy to be able to photograph this one.

      Delete
  5. Hi Nancy, I read your pink dilemma post and I actually like the pink, think it is a bit different and homey too. But brown always works with those colours too. Meanwhile, sweet post today. I always look for rabbit frost and have yet to catch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about pink and brown, Jocelyn.  I chose the brown after all.I'm not sure what conditions cause rabbit frost but I hope you see/find some one of these days.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...