Saturday, July 30, 2022

A Gift and Churn Dashes for Chookyblue's Sew-Along

Cynthia of wabi-sabi quilts made two delightful quilts for her yet-to-be-born twin granddaughters.  She noticed the churn dash blocks I'd been making and emailed me to offer some of the backing fabric she'd used for the back of the twins' quilts.  
It arrived not long ago.  The fabric is gorgeous and I love it!  Along with the fabric, Cynthia sent this wonderful postcard.  The best part of the image on the card is the little toddler/pre-schooler pulling the maid along as if to urge her forward more quickly.  Haven't we all seen little children do this?  The Dutch painter, Jacob Ochtervelt, captured the gesture, facial expression, and movement of the little girl so exquisitely.  The gifts are delightful, Cynthia.  Thank you so much for thinking of me.

I've made just one block with the fabric.  The colors work perfectly.
I think I could have been more careful in my cutting so that all the corners would have been sharp, with color there instead of white.  I'll be more careful if I make another one.

I have now 50 churn dash blocks in varying tints and tones of blush, coral, salmon, apricot, peach, and pink.  These are so hard to photograph for accurate color!  The lights look lighter and the mediums look either darker or brighter.  Previous posts with closeups (here and here) might be more accurate.
churn dash blocks
The questions I'm asking myself now about these blocks are --
  • Is there too much variety in the colors?
  • If not, should I be careful about the arrangement of the blocks for color?
  • If so, should I make more light, more medium, more slightly darker/brighter blocks?

And I think it's time I start to consider the layout of the blocks. 

Straight set?
churn dash blocks
On point set?
churn dash blocksm, on point set
With or without sashing?   Below are two fabric options I have on hand that might work for sashing.  Both seem a little dark to me.  I also have a really pale, almost blush, fabric but I don't think I have enough of it.  Width of sashing?  And then cornerstones:  medium, darker, the same fabric as the background, or different?
churn dash blocks
Or maybe an alternate set with churn dash, plain fabric, churn dash, etc.  Will I have to search for fabric?

There's the size of the quilt to consider and decide, too.  I guess I feel like I need to make some choices now so I know whether to make more blocks. 

There are so many options and decisions when making a quilt, especially when you're deciding as you go along instead of using a pattern.

Many thanks to Chookyblue for hosting this sew-along.  She has a list of participants with links to their blogs in the sidebar of her blog.  I think there are 41 of us.  Such a variety of quilts we'll have when we're finished!

Just recently one of my biggest challenges to making and finishing a quilt is finding backing fabric (at a price I'm willing to pay).  Prices of everything have gone up, including fabric.  Maybe I should begin choosing backing fabric before I begin a quilt?

We've had several days of wonderful thunderstorms, several days of just rain, some hot and humid days, and now, today, it was in the low 80s with low humidity, too.  One of those summer days one dreams of in the depths of winter's snow and ice.  A perfect day.

I hope you're doing well!  Thanks for visiting (and leaving a comment, if  you do).

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. What beautiful blocks; I like both settings (I'm no help at all, am I?).
    I find it hard to choose sashing colors myself--visualization is difficult for me unless I actually cut the fabric and see it repeated...(maybe why I have so many strips leftover??Ya think?). Have fun choosing your options...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  No problem not to have an opinion about which setting you like better.  I can't decide, either!
      Oh, yes, visualization is impossible for me!  I have to see it, sometimes again and again, before I really see it.

      Delete
  2. There are always so many decisions with each new quilt, sometimes I wonder how we get as much accomplished as we do. The fabric from Cynthia is gorgeous and a great addition to what you already had. We had one day/night of thunderstorms but otherwise it's been bone dry around here, hot during the day and cool nights for which we're thankful since we don't have a/c except in one room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose, if I had everything planned out from the beginning, I would get more done in less time but as it is, I'm slow to make decisions, weighing all the options which, of course, means pulling out fabric and changing layouts and taking photographs....It's all fun but it's definitely not fast.
      I'm so glad you have cool nights. That makes such a difference in cooling down a house and being able to get through the next day of heath without collapsing. I'm sure you love your air conditioned room, though. It's probably in whichever room you use the most? I'll hope and pray for rain for you.

      Delete
  3. I love the variety of pinks in your churn dashes. And the random placement works for me. But then I’m sort of a scrappy, random type of gal. Quilting wise, that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Sandy. I think random placement will be best, too, but I don't think it would be good to have clusters of the same/similar tone/tint. It seems like a delicate balance.

      Delete
  4. What lovely fabric from Cynthia. It turned into a very nice block. I love the little polka dot background. I like the pink better than the blue for the sashing but you'll know what is best. It's hard to tell when the color change slightly from photo to photo. Glad your having some nice summer weather. We had 20 100 degree days last month - whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is beautiful fabric from Cynthia.  I was surprised that the colors of my blocks translated to her computer monitor with enough accuracy for her to realize how well it would work.
      I like the pink/coral fabric better for sashing, too, Robin.  I like the light blue, but maybe for a different quilt.
      Oh, my photos!  The colors of these blocks are so hard to photograph.  I keep trying but so far, the colors are off.
      I hope you get cooler weather soon, and maybe rain.  Does it cool down at night?

      Delete
  5. very pretty churn dash blocks...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a beautiful thunderstorm today too. Your quilt blocks are beautiful. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. I don't think you have too much variety. I like the onpoint setting the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the blocks and colors, Shasta. I lean toward the on-point setting--until I look at blocks laid out in a the straight set, and then I can't decide. But this is the month to decide!

      Delete
  7. Love the colour of the blocks. That will be a lovely sweet quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kleine Vingers. I hope I like it finished as much as I like the blocks.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...