Thursday, July 28, 2022

Buckeye Beauty Quilting Finished for One Monthly Goal

My One Monthly Goal for July was to hand quilt two more rows of this little Buckeye Beauty.  I quilted the remaining three and a half rows for a finish.  Next is to cut around the edges, choose binding (maybe those reds in a previous post--or not), and get it stitched down, both front and back, then was and dry for a complete finish.

This quilt will never win any prizes--it's a homey and homely utility quilt--but I hope it will find its way to some baby or toddler who needs the warmth it will provide. 

I'm continuing my search for backing fabrics for several different quilts, including Time Flies (looking for print with red/tan/black and hopefully related to time in some way) and Everyday Patchwork (seeking dark/teal green, possibly printed with other colors).  I love it when I can have the next quilt ready before I finish the current one. 

To keep with our 43-year tradition, we went to the state fair yesterday, the first since 2019 due to Covid.  We are so tired and sore!  We are having an enforced rest.  It would take an emergency and a surge of adrenaline for me to move faster than a turtle's pace today.  In general the fair was a disappointment but we did enjoy the natural resources with its prairie meadow flowers.  (Click on any of the photos below to enlarge and see detail.  The photos will open in a new window.)

I thought these delicate white flowers--whose name I do not know--were beautiful.  I think they are only about 1/4" wide.
It drizzled while we were there and I captured a photo with droplets of rain clinging to the leaves.  I love it!  I also like this plant's little seed pods.
This is Rattlesnake Master. I think its prickly globes are delightful.

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal July Finishes at Elm Street Quilts.  Thank you for hosting, Patty.  Please visit the link-up to see what goals others set and met in July.

I'm also linking this post to
> Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts and
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
Thank you for hosting, Alycia and Wendy.

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. I disagree with you...such an unusual thing Nancy. I do not find Buckeye Beauty homely at all. The colours are pretty and the overall look is actually lovely. This was a great favourite to bring to the finish line. Sorry the fair was not as great but thanks for sharing those lovely flowers. I'm equally as impressed and interested in the wildflowers as my garden flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Jocelyn. I think the fair is still recovering from Covid, as are so many businesses, trying to get back up to speed and find people to work. I think, in general, that recovery from the fair will take time.
      Your flower photos are beautiful, Jocelyn, and I enjoy seeing them when you post. (I also enjoy your animal photos.)

      Delete
  2. Nice goal you've reached!! And I totally agree with Jocelyn--I think Buckeye Beauty lives right up to its name!!:))) I love the variety of pinks, tans and creams in it. A lovely soft piece--nice work--;))
    Sorry about the Fair's disappointment--we haven't gone to any of ours this year...just too dang hot and humid to be out of doors and too much walking for me just now...
    I hope your weekend is a good one stay cool hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julierose. I appreciate your kind comments about Buckeye Beauty.
      Thank goodness the day wasn't too hot or I would not have gone to the fair. I hope your walking improves over time so that one day you'll be back to your previous self as far as your mobility goes.

      Delete
  3. Your Buckeye Beauty is indeed a beauty. I love the colors and how you arranged the blocks to resemble butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Sandy. So, I hadn't thought about butterflies until you mentioned it, but now that I look, I can see what you mean.

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderful finish! It looks so soft and comfy. I hope you can find just the right fabric for your time quilt. You've been looking for a long time.
    I just finished my basket quilt from Temecula Quilt Co. BOM a few years ago. I couldn't find any backing that I liked and ended up using an off white with pale green stars. It looks okay but I wish I could have found a better backing - something a little more dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robin.  It is definitely a soft quilt--or will be (I think) when it's bound, washed, and dried.
      Finding backing fabric is such a challenge right now.  I want something somewhat specific, at least for colors, and am struggling to find much, especially that's within the price I'm willing to pay.  But to be honest, I haven't really found fabric that I think will work that's even more than I want to pay.

      I'm looking forward to seeing your TQC basket quilt.  It is disappointing to have to settle for fabric.  I think I'll probably have to do that with the next few quilts.  Sigh....

      Delete
  5. [my comments disappeared twice now.] BB is very sweet, so soft and pretty. Handquilting makes a project so special. //Enjoyed your nature and garden pics.too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google comments can be so frustrating, LIzzy. I'm sorry you're having to deal with it at my blog! Thanks for persisting.

      Thank you for your kind words about the Buckeye Beauty quilt, and the comments about the flower photos. I used my old cell phone, which takes better photos than my new cell phone, but not as good photos as my camera. I didn't take my camera because of the rain.

      Delete
  6. Your quilt is wonderful, someone will love it. Sorry the fair was disappointing. Ours is in early September, and we already know that several competitions are not being held this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments about the quilt, Carole.  I agree, someone will love it, and maybe that's the best we can say for a quilt, that it was loved.
      I think our fair is still getting up to speed after two years of Covid, and I suspect that they had problems finding enough people to work, as with your fair.  It'll probably be better next year.  I hope yours is great!

      Delete
  7. I think your buckeye beauty is just perfect!! all those pretty reds together! and plaid... plaid always wins!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia.  Yes, I agree with you:  plaid always wins.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...