Friday, August 12, 2016

My Mind's Eye Needs Glasses

Sometimes I just have to try things to see how they look.  I imagined that Gwen's liberated stars, cut on the diagonal, with one of "Kathy's Blocks" (described in Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaing II) in the corner would be great for the star border on my medallion quilt.


But oh, no.  Epic fail!  In my mind that half-star did not have an Art Deco look about it but, rather, a liberated look.  My mind's eye needs glasses -- or something.

Now I'm going to fall back and punt -- try out another idea, or possibly two -- or more, however many it takes to make a border with stars. 

I'm glad I didn't wait until next week to try out this idea!

I wish you a good weekend.

--Nancy.
.

12 comments:

  1. Frustrating, isn't it, when what you envision is not what results? I'm currently struggling with a border on a little quilt that looked good when I sketched it on grid paper, but not so much in fabric.
    I hope you can get yours figured out to your liking very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, frustrating, Janet. Wasted time, wasted fabric. Not really, I guess, because it's part of the learning process.

      I hope you can find a border you like for your little quilt.

      Is it something about borders? Ha!

      Delete
  2. I hope you don't end up lying awake at night thinking through border ideas! I've found myself doing that a few times - even getting up and sketching the idea in the hope of being able to get back to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually fall asleep when my head hits the pillow so the border probably won't keep me awake. The most I can hope for is that I'll dream about the perfect border -- and remember the dream. (The memory of dreams is usually gone by the time I wake in the mornings.) Short of that, I'm on my own to come up witht the "perfect" star border for this quilt!

      Delete
  3. It is a great idea....but maybe for another quilt. You are right, it just doesn't sing on this cutie you have going. I have faith that you'll come up with just the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, I sincerely appreciate your faith in my ability to figure out a border! You are so encouraging. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I really like it. I'm not sure what look you're going for but it looks okay to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. I think the width of it (from the inner edge of the border to the outer edge) may be out of proportion for the center and the rest of the borders. And the half-star is really big, too big to put more than one along the top. I'm still playing.... I'm not sure where this will end up!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Lol, Caroline. Absolutely. I punt pretty often.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...