Saturday, September 3, 2016

September One Monthly Goal

My One Monthly Goal (OMG) for September is to find/make backing for this quilt, then layer, baste, and begin quilting it.


I found fabric with stars online and showed my husband.  It was a small print with stars in colors similar to this quilt (except that there were yellow stars, too).  He thought it was too busy.  But he did like the fabric below with monkeys.  (Please note that the photo below shows a much smaller section of fabric than the quilt above.  The proportions are not accurate.)

While I'm fine with the monkey print I'm not thrilled with the feel of the fabric.  It's not soft and seems a little coarse for a baby quilt.  I'll wash it again and if it softens up I'll use it but if it doesn't I'll choose some other fabric (or piece several other fabrics) for a back for this quilt.

And that's my goal.  Find others' goals at One Monthly Goal: September Goal Setting Party, a link-up hosted by Heidi of Red Letter Quilts.  If you'd like to set a goal yourself and joint the party, I know you'd be welcome.

--Nancy.
.

12 comments:

  1. That is very good of you to take your hubby's opinion into account on your backing decision. My hubby knows nothing about quilting other than what I tell him, so I would be afraid to trust his judgement. *LOL*
    Loving the star top, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet. Maybe it was good of me but I'm not sure about the wisdom of taking my husband's suggestion for that fabric. Had it been any other quilt I would have listened to what he said and suggested but would have made the choices independent of his ideas (unless I felt impressed that they might work for the quilt). My husband always tells me that he knows nothing about fabric, art, design, color, or quilting.

      Delete
  2. Sounds very doable! I agree that it is important to have a nice soft fabric for a baby quilt. Those monkeys are awful cute, but mom wouldn't appreciate red checks from chaffing, would she? I know you'll find just the right thing (or two)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Teresa. My younger daughter thinks I'm being too particular and that the monkey fabric is really not scratchy at all. I'll wash it one more time and see what I think.

      Delete
  3. The monkeys are cute, but I agree, soft is required. I hope you find something that fulfills both objectives, soft and cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. My younger daughter thinks I'm being too picky. I'll wash the fabric again and see if I agree. Otherwise, I search my fabric at home and, if necessary, head to the store for other fabric.

      Delete
  4. This looks a beautiful quilt. These decisions about backing material are quite difficult but soft is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. I hope I find a soft fabric, or that the monkey fabric feels soft after another wash and dry.

      Delete
  5. Many times I use a plain or even printed 100% cotton flannel, well prewashed, of course.It gives extra coziness as a backing. Your top is so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vic. I thought about flannel but I find it often becomes "ball-y" after even one wash so I hesitate to use it; but I agree, it would make for a cozy quilt (if it didn't ball up). I wish I could find a brand that doesn't.

      Thanks for sharing your idea for backing for your compliment about the quilt top.

      Delete
  6. That monkey fabric is just cute with that top, I agree with your husband:) Soft is important though, perhaps a shopping trip is due..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Heidi. I'm working to convince myself that the monkey fabric is soft enough but I haven't succeeded yet. Maybe I'll give it one more wash, and then go shopping if it still seems stiff/scratchy.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...