Saturday, June 22, 2024

This, That, and the Other

Aren't these guys the cutest?   They are about half an inch high and were sitting on a shelf at a local store.
Toys a child left behind?  Part of a display or advertisement, though there wasn't anything around that seemed to be associated with little ducks.  I wanted to bring them home but there was no price tag.  I have a collection of little things and these would fit right in.

June has flown by.  For me it might as well be over since a total knee replacement surgery is scheduled for this coming Tuesday.  Preparation for surgery (making food, getting the house ready for a walker, making sure I have all the equipment I'll need, etc.) has taken a lot of time.  Hence, little progress on the quilting front.  Sadly Bramble Blooms I and II are both on hold indefinitely, at least as far as physical progress goes.  I haven't written them off or decided not to participate, though.  I plan to come back to them when I'm more mobile and my mind isn't focused on other things.  Maybe a spark of creativity during this surgery and recovery process will push me toward some decisions?  Or not.

What I have been sewing are several simple, lightweight cotton, summer dresses, similar to these.  I can cut and sew a pattern well enough but adjusting and fitting a pattern are the problem, and patterns nearly always need adjusting.  I'm not a standard size.  I'm on pins and needles cutting and sewing until I know the garment will fit.  The first of the two dresses fits and is comfortable; I hope the second one will be, too.  

You may remember this post from almost exactly a year ago about my rose-print fabrics and the challenge I set for myself to use them in a quilt.
The fabrics sat around for nearly a year.  I finally decided to cut squares and make a one-patch.  My reasoning was that I have enough fabric to make several quilts, so why not start with a one-patch.  The squares are 4½", placed in no particular order.  I'm imagining a calm, quiet quilt.
Maybe the criteria of roses isn't enough to unify a quilt?  I may edit out some of the darker prints or place them carefully.  I may also add some applique to the finished top, or add some pieced blocks, either 4" or 8" finished.  I have 200 of the needed 300 squares cut.  I've never made a one-patch quilt before and am wondering how one chooses a layout.  Do you know?

I finished this quilt I call Center Light in 2013 and have slept under it every winter night for 11 years as well as some spring and autumn nights.

I felt a spot near the top of the quilt getting thin and recently noticed this casualty of use.
I'll repair it, of course, but how?  It's a  utility quilt and part of me says to just make a patch that covers the hole, the binding, and the back, and stitch it down.  The perfectionist in me says to unstitch the binding, unquilt the section that needs repair, add new batting and fabric, then requilt and sew on new binding.  There's another colored block that is torn, also.  Huh!  I never expected it to be an heirloom quilt but I did think it would last longer than 11 years!  Except for this spot and the binding along almost all of this edge, the rest of the quilt is in good shape.  How would you repair it?

This is happening along the country roads not far from us. I believe it's winter wheat.  It was sprouting green in March so I guessed it was planted last fall.
We saw many fields, some that were acres and acres larger than this one.  It brought to mind the phrase "Oh, beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain" from the song "America."

The weather has been hot and humid, from the high 80s to the high 90s, with "feels like" temperatures in the low 100s some days.  Heat warnings or advisories and air quality alerts have been in effect all week and are still in effect now.  I went to the store yesterday and when I stepped onto the pavement I wanted to move the heat away as if it were a curtain brushing against me, it was so dense and heavy.  I'm grateful for air conditioning.  Even inside it feels oppressive but at least it's cool enough to breathe.  I feel sorry for people and animals who have to be outside.  Whatever did my farming ancestors do?!

About that knee replacement surgery on Tuesday.  (Well, first, did you know that the knee is the biggest joint in the body and one of the most complex?  That was news to me.)  I'm good with the surgery itself but I'm not looking forward to the days and weeks after.  The more I learn, the more grueling it sounds.  Infection and blood clots are the biggest post-surgery concerns for the doctor and nurses but they're also concerned about exercise, since that's what will give me my mobility.  My biggest concerns are whether I'll actually be able to do all that they expect and require, and whether I can prevent constipation.  (TMI?  Sorry.)  The expectations post-surgery are to
  • use ice on top and behind my knee to keep the swelling down, because swelling can cause blood clots
  • wear TED stockings:  very tight compression stockings which can be really hard to get on and are uncomfortable to wear (so I'm told)
  • keep my knee elevated above the level of my heart
  • use a CPM (or continual passive motion) machine for 6 hours/day to keep my knee moving which, I guess, is part of the exercise, and possibly also for swelling
  • exercise hourly; the exercises take about 20 minutes; also walk for about 15 minutes every hour
  • eat high protein and lots of fiber
  • take medications, watch diet, prevent constipation (if that's possible with narcotic pain killers)

Just when you feel your worst after a major surgery and most want to rest, the doctors want you to keep moving.  I'll get through this and, hopefully, will be more mobile.  

That's it from me for at least a week, maybe more.  I hope you stay cool and comfortable or, if you're from the southern hemisphere, I hope you stay warm and toasty.

--Nancy.

28 comments:

  1. Good luck with your upcoming surgery...we have a few med issues facing the two of us too...No input from MD's after tests as yet...hoping all goes well for you,... hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes for my surgery.  It's over but, of course, recovery is still in progress.
      I hope the yours and your husband's medical issues aren't severe or painful and that, perhaps, you've heard from your doctors about test results!

      Delete
  2. What pattern are you using for the dress? I’m hoping to get a cortisone shot to help my knee. Trying to avoid surgery. Dotti in CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dotti. I tried cortisone for my knees but did not find it helpful. The next step was gel injections which did help. But you can only go so long when it's bone on bone. I hope the cortisone works for you!
      The pattern I used for the dress is Butterick 4201, the one that is a maternity top and pants. (The big image has a pink top and black pants. I tell you that because there are several Butterick patterns with the same number.) I cut the pattern like the one in the lower left but added length to the sleeves and the dress--long enough to make it below the knee lengths, but you could cut it any length. It's hard to find simple A-line dresses!

      Delete
  3. You will be in my thoughts and healing prayers for the surgery date and recovery. You know I' m squeamish, I couldn't read the details of your procedure. I wish you a very successful result.

    I love the dress idea. Are you using knit or woven.




    My feeling with a one patch quilt is that they are random. You can sew 4 Patches or Nine Patches or long strips. You put the cut squares in a basket, mix well, reach in and sew whatever you come up with. If you really hate that pick, put it back and re-choose. I can see this making a perfectionist a bit crazy but it works!

    The repair: remove the section of binding. Applique a patch on the back hold. turn it over, clip away batting and replace lightly as needed,. Sew a new patch on the top. [I am told round or curved patches meld better. I always have used squares.] Quilt, resew binding. Dampen patch and put in dryer on warm gentle to replicate the scrunch and aging.

    PS if while recuperating you feel sad or lonely, or just want to talk to someone, anyone! I am often online around noon and then evenings, so email me anytime. I ll do my best to keep you company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, LIzzy.  I'm grateful.  (I didn't include details of the procedure, just the challenges I was told I'd face after the surgery.  (I'm squeamish, too, and didn't what to know exactly what was happening.  Just don't tell me or I might get sick.  Haha.)

      I used woven, printed cotton for one of the dresses, and woven, unprinted cotton for another.  (I'm surprised at the compliments I've received on the printed dress.)  I would like to find 2 or 3 more fabrics and make a few more but not sure that will happen soon.
      Hahaha.  Yes, your idea of sewing what I pull out of a bag for the one-patch might make me a little crazy.  But hey, my success rate for planned quilts isn't always wonderful, either.
      Thank you for the suggestions for repairing the quilt.  At the moment, it's just sitting....
      I might have contacted you, Lizzy, but a half hour of sitting with leg elevated isn't really comfortable.  I'm only just now (and yesterday, for two comments) getting back to the computer.  People who have had this done tell me it's worth it, but I don't feel that at the moment!

      Delete
  4. Maybe IG will let you see this quilt repair :[highlight and right click, ''go to'']

    https://www.instagram.com/p/C5HIggBvCmJ/?img_index=6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was able to see the repair on IG. The curved fabric looks like it settles in much better than a corner would have.

      Delete
  5. First of all, best wishes to you with your upcoming surgery. The recovery process sounds daunting, and like a full time job! As far as the mending, I think Lizzy gave you good advice. I would totally just PATCH it like your first thought, but that's just me! I don't mind the look of a patched up utility quilt. The patches are part of the story of the quilt. The winter wheat is so beautiful. Oh, and your one-patch - I think random is great. I lay out the patches, and stand back without my glasses on, to sort of check for balance and contrast. I piece the quilt in chunks, not in rows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes for surgery, Cynthia.  Yes, the recovery process has been daunting (and painful), but I'm making progress.  Maybe in a few months I'll be thrilled that I had the surgery.
      I think I'm leaning toward yoru idea of just patching the quilt.  I don't have energy to start it yet and maybe when I do, I'll decide to go with LIzzy's idea, but just now, the easier, simpler plan sounds appealing.
      I remember you saying that you piece in sections and now rows.  I'll have to give that a try sometime.  I haven't done any more with those blocks, either, but will when I feel better.

      Delete
  6. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery. I hope the weather in your area moderates so that you can be more comfortable temperature and humidity-wise. I've only had to patch one quilt that I had made for my daughter when she was in college. As I recall I just made square patches that were sewn down over the rips and quilted the same as the rest of the quilt. Also had to replace the binding on that one. I made a one-patch Christmas quilt a couple years ago. It was pieced with alternating white prints with either red or gray patches, predominantly red. I think it was finished in late 2022. I like the idea of one patch quilts. Like Cynthia I pieced in quadrants rather than rows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the best wishes for surgery, Pat.  I think the recovery will take at least 6 weeks considering that's how long physical therapy lasts.  I don't know how long the pain will last, though.
      I'll have to work up the energy to patch or repair my quilt and to decide on the one-patch quilt top progress.  I know I'll have the energy one of these days.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your knee surgery. Just follow your doctor's advice carefully and you will be able to avoid constipation. From your post, I assume you live alone. If that is the case, hope you will stay in rehab until you feel fully able to cope at home.
    I would patch the utility quilt and decide later whether to do a more extensive repair. It's interesting that only one area is badly worn. Maybe that particular fabric is defective.
    Love you blog, your quilts, and your sense of color. You have it all!
    May your recovery be easier than you anticipate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement for my knee surgery, Sharon. My daughter took three weeks off work to help, otherwise I would have to have gone to a care center.
      I like the idea of patching the utility quilt. I think that particular area wore thin because it's where I placed my fingers to pull the quilt to the top of the bed. I'll be more careful how I do that from now on.
      Thanks again for your kind comments.

      Delete
  8. Keep telling yourself that your knee will feel so much better after the surgery! All the prep and the post-surgery care will be worth it.
    Ah, garment sewing. I see simple dresses like the one you have in mind and know I could make them--I used to sew more complex clothing routinely. But I'd need a pattern (and, like you, alter appropriately). And fabric. And rethink how to cut. [Yesterday I had to try twice to replace the elastic in the waistband of a thrifted skirt which involved creating a new casing. And then I found out the elastic had twisted so I'll have to undo the sewn ends, untwist (without losing an end into the casing), and re-sew. I'd rather make half-square triangles.] Cathy (Sane and Crazy Quilting) has made several quilts out of rose prints -- that may give you an idea or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the perspective about the surgery, Nann. I've had to alter the timeline for feeling better though to after finished physical therapy--about six weeks from now! But I know it will be worth it after most of the healing happens.
      Oh, so sad about the problems altering a waistband! Those are the kinds of things that happen to me. I'd rather buy clothes (if I could find clothes I like) and, like you, make half-square triangles.
      Cathy's made some beautiful rose quilts! Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  9. I hope and pray for the best for your knee replacement surgery! A couple of family members have had it done with mixed results. As far as the repair on your Center Light quilt, I would have to take the binding off and redo it all. I could do it the other way and of course not be happy with it and would have to do the complete repair so would save myself some time and do it all the first time. lol I hope your husband is better at taking care of himself than mine is! I don't know what he would do if I had surgery with weeks of rehabilitation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers, Rebecca. I have heard both good and bad about hip replacements. The people who have had success tell me to do the exercises, stick with them. I hope that's true because those exercises are hard!
      My husband would survive on cereal and microwave meals, I suppose. I made some food in advance and my daughter was here for the first three weeks, and she was the biggest help ever.
      I haven't done anything about the quilt repair. The quilt is washed, dried, and waiting....

      Delete
  10. Goodness Nancy, I'm so sorry you have to go through this heavy duty surgery. Everybody will want to give you advice, so I'll just say, "please take care of yourself and get well soon." San / Murphy, NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, San. "Heavy duty" surgery sounds like an appropriate description! I'm on the mend but it's been slow.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you have prepared very well. Hope everything goes as planned. It's a good time of year to keep things moving through your system by eating all the fresh fruits and vegetables. And don't forget to drink water even though that means you'll have to get up more often. I like the looks of your patches in the picture. I've got so many brown pieces (scraps and yardage) that I keep trying to come up with an idea to use all that brown. Just doing scrappy squares like you are doing might work. I have a quilt that is in sorry need or repair but mine will need complete replacement of binding and is so stained where it's up by our faces. I think with your quilt I'd be tempted to do the easy thing and just patch it but I'll put a scripture or something on the patch. Maybe put on the date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reminders and encouragement about my post-surgery diet, Robin.  I think I've been low in the water area but am trying to improve.  It's hard to keep track when I have water by the bed and water in the kitchen and they both get refilled. 
      Oh, I think a brown one-patch quilt could be beautiful.  I love brown! 
      I'm feeling very tempted to make a simple patch for my quilt, then put new binding over the old and call it good.  I haven't the energy to make any decisions yet.  I'll hold that for a future effort.

      Delete
  12. Some people hide ducks in all kinds of places (schools, office buildings, cruise ships, etc.) for other people to find. I found some that size on our cruise to Alaska. Not saying that is what was happening in this instance, but it is a possibility.
    I've done several "random" one-patch quilts out of Christmas fabric, and I always overthink the randomness. My daughter would do truly random--just grab a square from the bag or box, sew it on, and grab another.
    I wish you well with your recovery from surgery. Hope it goes better than you expect. I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, Janet.  I appreciate them.
      About the ducks....  I forgot that I'd read an article about people leaving ducks for Jeep drivers, but didn't realize they were left in other places.  Maybe those little ducks were intended to be found and taken....
      I suspect that I'll overthink randomness, too, when it finally comes down to sewing the rose fabrics.  No sewing yet, but one of these days.

      Delete
  13. Hi Nancy, that photo really nailed the amber waves of grain didn't it. I love those soft florals in your quilt. It makes me want to make one just like it. Meanwhile, I do wish you all the very best now with this surgery...it is daunting and natural to be concerned with the recovery. However, many have had wonderful success of course with the wonder of modern medicine and following the advice and recommendations. I'm confident you can do it! All the best, J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes, Jocelyn. I hope the soft florals all work well together for this one-patch quilt.
      Yes, knee replacements have become common and it's easy to take for granted their success rate. But it's not an easy surgery. The surgery itself is painful, the healing is painful, and the exercises required to regain mobility and flexibility are painful. Doable? Yes, but not easy.

      Delete
  14. I'm delighted to find such inspiring quilting projects here. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful creations. Keep up the great work!
    Krazycouponclub

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the variety in your "This, That, and the Other" post! The blend of different crafts and projects is so inspiring.
    Promotions

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...