Wednesday, July 19, 2017

A Little Bonus Quilt from Leftover Blocks

I had a dozen 9½" blocks left over from this quilt and, being tired of them laying around, I decided to put them together into a little quilt.  Trying to finished those unfinished projects, you know. 


I knew I wanted to connect the inner sashing between blocks and decided the olive green worked best with the various colors in all the blocks.  I like how open this layout and setting looks.  I tried it with red cornerstones and decided it closed in the blocks too much.

The narrow, olive green border was an easy choice but the wider border took a little play.  I had several ideas including red-and-light 9-patch blocks; a light border; and several reds.  The striped red fabric won.


But then there was the decision about which direction the stripes should go.  stripes going parallel to the edges uses less fabric and needs fewer seams.  Stripes going perpendicular to the edges needs more seams and careful alignment.  And they both give a different appearance to the border.


This red striped fabric came from thrift store shirts.  Surprisingly, I found two at different stores at different times!  When I find a shirt with fabric I like I always hope to find another but it so rarely happens.  I'm thrilled when it does.

I particularly like the squares created by the cornerstones, sashing, and corner blocks.  To me it adds another level of interest.

Another quilt on its way to a finish this year!  Can I keep up my one finish per week that's been going on for nearly a month now?  We'll see.

I'm linking this post to
> Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
> WOW at Esther's Blog 
> Let's Bee Social #186 at Sew Fresh Quilts
> Midweek Makers #81 at Quilt Fabrication

Thanks for hosting, ladies.

We're having a heat wave here in Ohio.  I know it's not as hot as some areas of the country but our humidity is high and the dew point is just as high.  When we walk outside we walk into a wall of moisture hanging in the air!  I hope you're having good weather wherever you are.

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I really like this little quilt, Nancy. Good find on the shirts! I am always thrilled when I find a duplicate shirt--especially if they are extra large. I find more duplicates if they are a common brand, like Old Navy. Striped shirts make great borders no matter which way you turn the stripes, IMHO. :)
    I really like the way you connected the inner sashing, and I like the cream stars in the centers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. So many kind compliments. It seems like our local supply of good cotton shirts is dwindling. Men seem to be wearing more t-shirts and polo shirts than the cotton ones I would buy for quilts. Still I search whenever I'm near a thrift store.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nancy,
    What a lovely quilt from 'leftover' blocks. Those cornerstones and sashing just set them off so nicely, as does the thin green border. Hmm, I like the wider border going in either direction, but maybe the perpendicular a slight bit more. Which did you chose? I'll have to wait and see. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roseanne. Such kind compliments. If I can get my act together tonight or tomorrow I'll post the finished top but if not, then one day next week.

      Delete
  3. Nancy that is one pretty quilt! And kudos to you for a finish a week, as I know that's a hard pace to keep. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. My finishes aren't huge and several of them have been in progress and halfway to a finish for a while but still, I'm please to get them done. Thanks for hosting Midweek Makers.

      Delete
  4. What a nice finish! The olive green really helps your eye follow the design of the whole quilt. What luck to find two shirts from the same material. They make a great border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliment and for sharing your observations about the quilt, Robin. I appreciate that. It's not quite finished in the photos in this post but it's done now. I may post the finish photos tomorrow, if I can't get myself together.

      Delete
  5. This a wonderful quilt. I have never thought to get more than one shirt and then I can't do some of what I want with too little. Wonderful that this is a "bonus" quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie. A shirt gives me more than a fat quarter but having two or three shirts will let me do a border or sometimes alternate blocks (if they're not too big). I so rarely find two, though....

      Delete
  6. Hooray! for making use of those leftover blocks. Looks AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet compliments, Joyful. It's not a large quilt but large enough for a baby or even the top of a table.

      Delete
  7. I love your pieced sashing, what a great idea and departure from cornerstones, and well done of using those leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louisa. I like how the sashing carries the lines of the block across the sashing. I've probably seen other quilts use this idea but I can't remember it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...