Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Red Wings for Blogger's Quilt Festival

It's quilt festival time and I'm entering my quilt, Red Wings and Stars, in the Fall 2016 Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side.  Thanks so much for organizing and hosting this festival, Amy.  It's such fun to see bloggers' quilts I would have missed because I don't know about their blogs.

I designed the pattern for Red Wings as I went along.  It was made over several years' time, a block one week, several blocks another week, then the blocks were laid aside for a while I decided layout and sashing.   I've already written many posts about the making of this quilt.  I'll just share a few details in this post.

The blocks finish at 9 1/2", the blue sashing at 2" wide.  The whole quilt, after washing and drying, measures 62 1/2" x 86 3/4".
Red Wings and Stars scrappy quilt

I used Soft & Crafty 80% cotton / 20% polyester batting.  It was easy to hand quilt and I like how it fluffs after washing and drying.
Red Wings and Stars scrappy quilt

The weather has been too warm to use it but I'm sure it will be warm and cozy when cold winter winds blow.

I'm entering this quilt in the Large Quilt Category of the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  Click the link to see other quilts in this category.

Red Wings and Stars scrappy quilt

If you'd like to enter a quilt, too, the deadline to enter is Saturday, September 24, at midnight EDT.  The categories include mini quilts, small quilts, large quilts, applique quilts, art quilts, hand quilted quilts, home machine quilted quilts, modern quilts, original design quilts, ROYGBIV quilts, and scrappy quilts.  Go to this link to get all the information and links to each category.  Prepare to be inspired!

After Monday, September 26, you can return Amy's Creative Side to vote for the quilts you like best in each category.

Thanks for visiting.
--Nancy.
.

26 comments:

  1. I LOVE this quilt of yours and I'm so happy to see that you've entered it! You get my vote! Here's hoping it cools off soon. I'd be eager to curl up under it. :) It's just

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. You are such a good supporter. I hope it cools off, too, but just because I'm tired of the heat. (Though I will enjoy trying out this quilt.)

      Delete
  2. Great job of a scrappy quilt in a controlled color palette. I love it--the color, the design, and the vintage feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. It was interesting to work with all the reds and see how they played together (even though they were in separate "sandboxes," so to speak).

      Delete
  3. Very pretty. I love the color and that's a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sally. Thank you. The pattern was one I created as I went along. I like the colors, too, but I was never sure they would work together until I put the blocks together. I keep thinking I should plan everything in advance but I haven't succeeded yet.

      Delete
  4. The reds and browns make this quilt pops. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandra. Thanks for your compliment about this quilt. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. This is a gorgeous quilt! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also a fabulous quilt that I quite like. I think our taste is probably pretty close. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work Nancy! Love how it sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audrey. I think part of the sparkle comes from the light when I photographed.

      Delete
  8. Your design in very effective. I love how each different design element and colour shine through in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind compliment about this quilt, Karen. I appreciate it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...