Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gentle Sunday

The Pasture
by Robert Frost 

               I'm going out to clean the pasture spring;
               I'll only stop to rake the leaves away
               (And wait to watch the water clear, I may):
               I shan't be gone long. -- You come too.

               I'm going out to fetch the little calf
               That's standing by the mother. It's so young,
               It totters when she licks it with her tongue.
               I shan't be gone long. -- You come too.

Susan of Starwood Quilter posted photos of a farmyard quilt block along with old family photos of her parents and sons with a young calf and her grandmother chasing a calf.  In her post she included the poem, "The Pasture."  Reading it reminded me of the sweet tune Randal Thompson wrote to set the words to music.

The poem is beautiful, a sweet invitation to go with the speaker to the pasture, but is even more touching to me when accompanied by music.  Perhaps the poem's speaker knew his wife needed a break from housework.  Perhaps a mother wanted her son to see the new calf.  Maybe the young man wished to spend a few moments alone with the young woman he hoped to marry.  However I imagine it, I am touched by the invitation.

I hope you have a restful and pleasant Sabbath.

--Nancy.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...