Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A Few More Antique / Vintage Quilts

The antique mall in our area is a fun place to visit not only because of what's inside but also because it was originally home to some fraternal organization.  There are nooks and crannies, steps going up the front and steps going up the back, and steps going down.  Little rooms and big rooms and plenty of hallways, too.  All filled to the brim with objects from earlier times.  Too fun!  Every visit offers old quilts, always different than the last time I was there. 


This string quilt had a variety of fabrics including corduroy.

It was machine quilted but the border was hand-stitched, and very primitively, too.

This red and white quilt was in poor condition--almost threadbare in some places.  Well-loved, no doubt.

It was hand quilted with Baptist Fans.  The border was pink!

This quilt of simple strips of pink and blue was quilted with cables.

There was a collection of bow ties, four to a block.  I didn't count how many blocks but there were a lot.  They were all hand stitched.


This was the first time I saw Sunbonnet Sue blocks at this particular antique mall. 

This tulip quilt made me think of Audrey of Quilty Folk because she so often appliques large flowers on her quilts.  Each of these blocks (one flower) was 15 1/2".  The space was too small to open the quilt all the way so I don't know how many blocks there were.

And last, these blocks were 12 1/2".  Again, close quarters prevented me from opening it to see its full size.

Do you ever see old quilts and think, I wish I'd made that!?  I do!

I hope you're having a great day.

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. Always a treat to see old quilts, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these old quilts, very inspirational! the 'bow ties' one is my favourite. Ah yes, must make one myself someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and
    wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing
    your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing
    on your feed and I am hoping you write once more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I've truly enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing in your feed and
    I'm hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was able to find good information from your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular
    post! It is the little changes that will make the largest changes.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I simply would like to offer you a huge thumbs up for your great information you've got right here on this post.
    I will be coming back to your site for more soon.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...