I've made two stars a la Gwen Marston's instructions (more or less). The stars themselves are closer to white/natural in real life. They look cream/yellow because of the nighttime photograph.
I thought it was clear in my mind how to place the triangles onto the squares to sew them but when it came down to it the placement was a challenge. The star points were sometimes too close to the edge.
I wasn't aiming for perfect stars but I do want the tips of all the points inside the edge of the square. I don't think the one below will measure up to that expectation.
The top star will finish at about 4 1/2", the bottom at 5 1/2". Both are too large for the way I'm imagining their use. They may -- or may not -- become part of the Gwenny-inspired medallion quilt. I find them a little fiddly to make and somewhat wasteful of fabric (which is less of a problem because I'm using scraps than it would be if I were cutting yardage to make them). I don't expect to need more than five to seven of them but I won't know till I get them made and lay them around the center.
I'm linking this post to Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework and Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation. Thanks for hosting, ladies.
Thanks for visiting. I hope you have a great weekend.