Sunday, August 6, 2017

Circles for Slow Sunday Stitching

This is my current quilt in the hoop and if I have a chance to do any handwork today it will get some stitches.  I'm linking this post to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.  Thank you, Kathy, for giving us slow stitchers a place to share.


You may notice that the circle closest to the applique circle is off-center.  I'll remove that it, remark, and quilt it again.  I spent nearly a whole day marking the circles and obviously missed the mark at least once!


I marked with Prismacolor colored pencils in tints close to those of the sashing and center circle.  If the marks don't wash out I'll call them a design element which enhances the quilted circles.  Ha!  I didn't want the marks to be too dark, but not too light, either.  Some have already worn away just while handling the quilt.  Maybe they will all be gone by the time I finish quilting.  Those that are still there I hope will wash out.  After the quilt is finished I'll do a follow-up post about the results of using Prismacolor pencils to mark quilts.

I'm enjoying using regular quilting thread again.  It's so easy!

And I'm hoping for a restful hour or two of hand quilting.  While I quilt I'll listen to this talk again.  It is one of my favorite about grace.



Happy Sabbath to you.

--Nancy.
.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I've never heard of using the Prismacolors to mark quilts. I will be interested in your "after action report". :)
    Brad Wilcox is such a good speaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet. I did a little research before using the Primascolor pencils. Tim of Tim Quilts said they worked for him and washed out. And in one of Gwen Marston's early books she recommended Berol pencils (a white and a black or silver, I think) and I noticed that some of my old Prismacolors were made by Berol so I thought I'd try them. Already I've noticed that some of the marks are gone or are very light. That's not to say that all the color will wash out or not reappear in the dryer. I don't often mark quilts so I'm interested to see what happens with these pencils.

      Delete
  2. What a good idea to use colored prisma pencils to mark the designs. I like your hand quilting. I am thinking of hand quilting my next project. What do you mean by "regular quilting thread"? I need all the advice I can get for hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pam. I hope the Prismacolor marks wash out. They're disappearing as I quilt but I don't know what they'll do in the washer and dryer. We'll see.

      By regular quilting thread I meant instead of 3 strands of embroidery floss like I'd used on the previous quilt. Regular quilting thread is a little thicker and sometimes stiffer than sewing thread. Others have commented that they like YLI and Superior brands (though I've not used either). The one I'm using on this quilt is Americana brand which I bought at JoAnn. It goes through the fabric so smoothly compared to floss!

      I hope you enjoy hand quilting even though it will be slower than machine quilting. I love the chance to sit and think, carry on a conversation, or listen to a book or even watch TV (but only if it's not high action) when I quilt.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...