Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The Victory Bowl for Sweet Land of Liberty

I've just started stitching the appliques in place for this block of Sweet Land of Liberty.  I think it is my favorite block so far.

Victory Bowl for Cheri Payne's Sweet Land of Liberty

The stems near the bowl are almost finished.  I'll have to evaluate the placement of the cherry stems and the doves before I stitch those.  And maybe that bowl needs moved a little to the right....  Or not....  It's not exactly a symmetrical bowl (as per the pattern).

I cut out the little letters to spell victory.  Oh, they are small, especially for me as I struggle with turned-edge applique.  I know I will have to glue the edges under.

The pattern for the star happened to land on the block and I placed it on the bowl and wondered....  Maybe a star or three instead of "Victory."  Maybe....  (Not in pure white, though.)

Victory Bowl for Cheri Payne's Sweet Land of Liberty

I stitched the flag that goes under the eagle today.  I didn't follow the pattern exactly.  It was for paper piecing, which I don't do.  I just tried to cut the fabric to about the same size as the pattern.  I think it's a lame little flag but I probably won't change it.  The blue looks a little lonely so I think I'll add a white star.

Eagle and Flag for Cheri Payne's Sweet Land of Liberty

The eagle gets a star on his chest and the block gets one small star in each upper corner.  There will be a 2" border all the way around this block.

I'm eager to begin the fish weather vane.  I hope to choose fabric tomorrow.  Fish are often silvery-grey, but do I really want a silver-grey fish in this quilt?  Probably not, but maybe.

This is a fun and challenging quilt to make, fairly far out of my comfort zone, but I'm learning so much as I go along.  Many thanks to Lori of Humble Quilts for creating the sew-along.

I'm linking this post to
> WOW at Esther's Blog
> Let's Bee Social # 233 at Sew Fresh Quilts
> BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
> Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
> Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

22 comments:

  1. I just really love your newest block...I have not had time to work on it, but I think it is my favorite block so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julie. I'm always impressed at how much sewing and quilting you accomplish while working full time. I hope you'll be able to work on your quilt soon.

      Delete
  2. Your block is looking fabulous . It's fun seeing everyone's progress with this quilt. I'm just watching from the sidelines, too many irons in the fire this year to add this one. It's going to make a super quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Quilting Babcia. I enjoy looking at the fabrics and changes everyone else is making, too. So similar but all so individual. This is probably a quilt I should have started in January with everyone else or just waiting. I have too many irons in the fire, too!

      Delete
  3. Both of your blocks look great--very fun! I would go for the star rather than the letters myself--I like the way it looks on your vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I think I will probably put the star on the flower pot just so there aren't the two words side-by-side. Maybe I'll put the "victory" somewhere else on the quilt. Or maybe not....

      Delete
  4. Wow! You've been busy. The basket block looks great. I wish I had more contrast between the reds on the flowers like you do. But, once they're appliqued down - they stay put. I've got a quilt on the frames downstairs (where it's cooler) and so I've been spending my time quilting instead of sewing on Sweet Land of Liberty. I better get busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I've been busy, but maybe not busy enough to finish this and the other parts for July by the end of the month!

      I think the contrast on your flowers is perfect. In fact, I was going for that effect but my reds didn't work together so I had to use a lighter fabric in the back. I don't usually undo applique once it's stitched. I have to really, really dislike it or see a big problem to unstitch it.

      Good for you for quilting downstairs. I go for the coolness, too. But I think you have most of this months Liberty blocks done, don't you?

      Delete
  5. I like the stripe you used for the flowers in the one block. With the rim of color surrounding, it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I love that striped fabric and used it for flowers in one of Cheri's Baskets of Plenty blocks. I wasn't sure about the light red behind so I appreciate your comment about it working well. (Still uncertain at times about whether my choices are primitive or not.)

      Delete
  6. It all looks good to me, Nancy. I think you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. You're such a great cheerleader!

      Delete
  7. Nancy preciosos bloques.
    ¡¡ los veo muy bien!!
    Buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty flower block! I really love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. This is one of the very few blocks I didn't spend much time deliberating over fabrics. I hope it ends up looking as good as I think it should.

      Delete
  9. Great bowl and flowers. I love your eagle! This is going to be so great in your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I hope all the fabrics will work together. We'll see!

      Delete
  10. You've made a great start to both of your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shasta. Now if I can just finish on time!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...