Sunday, March 15, 2020

A Generous Giver


Life is so generous a giver, but we, judging its gifts by their covering, cast them away as ugly or heavy or hard.  Remove the covering and you will find beneath it a living splendor, woven of love, by wisdom, with power.  Welcome it, grasp it, and you touch the angel’s hand that brings it to you.  Everything we call a trial, a sorrow, or a duty, believe me, that angel’s hand is there; the gift is there, and the wonder of an overshadowing presence.

I rediscovered this quote while reviewing my annotated list of books I've read.  It's attributed to Fra Giovanni from a letter written in 1513 and quoted in The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers:  Spiritual Insights from the World’s Most Beloved Neighbor by Amy Hollingsworth.

Perhaps it's a good thought for these days and times.

--Nancy.
.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful. The Giver of Life be blessed, and may there be revival in our land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long distance hugs is what I am sending all my friends today. Times will get better. thanks for this wonderful quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy.  Yes, long distance hugs are the best we can do these days, isn't it?  I don't know how long this coronavirus business will last but I think--and hope--we'll be all the better for it.

      Delete
  3. thank you for these uplifting words--we can all use a "Mister Rogers"' in our neighborhoods for sure...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've been trying to find the hidden blessings instead of just the pain and fear There are things that we will learn that can be taught in no other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you're right, Robin.  Sometimes we have to go through an experience instead of reading about it to learn.  And it's good to remember than we can choose fear or choose faith, choose our outlook....

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful quote - I read it several times to absorb it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Cynthia.
      I hope you and your husband and the rest of your family are staying well.

      Delete
  6. Haven’t yet read this book. Perhaps now is the time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was really good, Jennie.  This would be a good time to read it.  It was uplifting.

      Delete
  7. Lovely passage Nancy and thanks for sharing. I too feel we will all get through this and it is no hardship for us stitchers to stay inside. That's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank  you, Jocelyn.  Oh, for sure, not a hardship for us stitchers! 

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...