Thursday, July 2, 2020

More of the Same, But Different

I'm still working on Everyday Patchwork.   I have the borders on and am auditioning fabrics/colors for the applique pieces.  Three pieces ready, below.

These are all the pieces, but the three larger ones are reversed depending on their position.  There will be a total of 13 leaf-shapes and 25 berries.

The appliques go across the top of the quilt and in the lower corners.  I'm currently auditioning and choosing fabrics, plus cutting and preparing some of the pieces.

Part of me wonders whether it might have been better to sew the appliques onto the border before sewing the border to the quilt.  I hope the way I've chosen doesn't cause too many problems.

Preparing and appliqueing these pieces is my One Monthly Goal for July.  I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal July Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.
.

14 comments:

  1. The applique will add a lot to this pretty quilt...nice work
    ~ ~ ~ waving from afar ~ ~ ~ Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  They will take some time but I think they will be a good addition, too.

      Delete
  2. The ''sew the appliques first'' was my immediate thought, but then you don't get the full picture of how the design works, right? The apps are on the edges so it should be fine. Very pretty, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LIzzy.  I'm finding that it's a little inconvenient to sew the appliques after the border's sewn but not too bad.  But then I've only sewn one of the smaller appliques.  I think it would have been too hard to get the placement right if I'd sewn them before the border was attached.  We'll see how it works.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be a wonderful quilt--applique always adds so much! I think it probably would have been easier to do the applique before attaching the borders, but then the placement gets challenging. I think you will do fine! Have a great Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen.  Now that I'm sewing the appliques with the border attached, I agree it would have been easier to sew them before sewing on the border, but after all's said and done, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other:  either way presents its own challenges.  I think I'm glad I made the choice for the placement of the appliques to be accurate.

      Delete
  5. Your applique will really be the frosting on the cake for this quilt. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.  It would have been good as it was but I really liked Cheri's appliques.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What nice graceful shapes. Think they will really complement your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie.  I think the shapes will add to the quilt, too.  Wish I could take credit for them.  ;-)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...