Monday, July 25, 2022

The Old Stitcher's Lament for Thread a Needle Day


The Old Stitcher's Lament

I had a little needle
With a tiny little eye.
The more I tried to thread it,
The bigger grew each sigh.

I tried and tried and never gave up
Till thread was through the eye.
And when I looked, the color was wrong!
Oh why, oh why, oh why?


This happens to me more often than I want to admit!

In honor of Thread a Needle Day today, the Fat Quarter Shop's blog, The Jolly Jabber, invited readers to write and submit poems to honor the day.  The above is my little poem.  I hope it brings a smile.  (Edited to add:  I will not win a prize with this poem.  I somehow missed the requirement that the poems were to include the names of three Colorworks threads.)

--Nancy.

Poem Copyright © 2022 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved.

10 comments:

  1. Love it! So true true true. I spend more time threading a needle than I do sewing sometimes. Even w partial eye surgery....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking fantasy here, Lizzy, but would it be great if they came up with a needle whose eye enlarges to be threaded, then gets small to sew. Haha.

      Delete
  2. Threading a needle is the hardest thing about sewing these days, aside from having no uninterrupted time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Pat. And what is it that takes up our time? I can't quite figure it out in my own life. It seems like time dissolves into thin air!

      Delete
  3. I finally found a needle/thread combination that works for me. The needle has a large eye and the thread is a stiff quilting thread. It's working for sewing on a binding right now but I don't know if it will work for anything else - oh well. I don't actually like this particular thread for hand quilting because it is so stiff. Threading a needle with a small eye and pulling a knot to the inside are my two biggest frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, please tell me the kind of needle and thread you've discovered!  Stiff for regular sewing can be hard but I think hand quilting thread is generally stiffer than sewing thread. 
      You know, I have trouble getting the knot to the inside sometimes, too.  Occasionally it breaks the threads in the fabric and leaves a hole, something that's so disappointing.

      Delete
  4. Well, it is a very clever (and true) poem, prize winner or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. Just silliness. It seemed to me like a poem for Thread a Needle Dad should address threading a needle....

      Delete
  5. As I was binding a quilt today, I had to thread a needle several times so this is very appropriate. I would have kept sewing even if the thread color didn't match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Threading a needle can be a challenge, Shasta. If I'm doing applique and have the wrong color thread in the needle, I weight the options: will it show enough to re-thread the needle?

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...