Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Baskets of Plenty Block 2, Choosing for Block 3

Baskets of Plenty block 2 Cheri Payne
I call this a finished block knowing I will change the embroidery around the star and may add some detail to the stems and leaves.  Those chunky stems give me a chuckle every time I look at them.  No drooping flowers in this basket!

applique star in circle on basket for Cheri Payne basket

I think the star needs something around the edge to help it stand out a little from the red behind but I'm not pleased with the dashed line in this photo.  In fact I've already removed it in anticipation of doing something else.  I think my embroidery skills are not up to snuff.   (It's been many long, long years since I embroidered as a child.)

Choosing the colors for the circle and star was fun.  When I've finished with a block I always question whether a different choice would have been better.  (My motto should be, "Never look back.")  I tried more than a dozen other options, some of which are below.

Baskets of Plenty block 2 Cheri Payne

Primitive is a new style to me. I recognize primitive when I see it but find it difficult to pinpoint in my mind exactly what makes something look primitive? Does it depend on colors, or the pattern, or both, or something else?

I made this as part of Cheri Payne's Basket of Plenty sew-along on her facebook group.  She posts pdfs of the patterns, then we print them and choose which pieces we want to use for our blocks.

It's been both fun and challenging.   It seems I usually change a pattern in one way or another to make it my own.  Many other participants are using wool for the applique but I want a quilt that can be washed and dried so I'm using only cotton.  Some of Cheri's shapes are hard for me to make accurately with turned-edged applique so I've chosen the shapes I can manage and simplified some of the ones that I couldn't.

I'm behind with these blocks since the pattern for the third basket is already available.  I've cut out the pattern pieces and just started playing with colors.


I have two brown baskets.  Do I want a tan/grey basket or a red basket or some other color?  And maybe that pink doesn't work as primitive?

I'm linking this post to
> WOW at Esther's Blog
> Let's Bee Social #169 at Sew Fresh Quilts
> Midweek Makers #64 at Quilt Fabrication
> Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
> Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
> Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
> finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

Thanks stopping by.  Happy day to you.

Nancy.
.

18 comments:

  1. I like how you used a stripe for one of the basket legs. More prim in style that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. I may get the hang of this by the time we're finished with Cheri's Baskets of Plenty!

      Delete
  2. That is going to be a lovely quilt. Applique is not my strong suit, yours is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, Carole. Applique may not be your strong suite but you have oh-so-many other really strong suits!

      Delete
  3. Wow--you really checked out your options! But I confess to having auditioned that many different choices for sashing some blocks on a little piece once. Nothing clicked, so I just kept trying. : )
    I think you are doing a great job with "prim"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, Janet, I just keep trying until I think it works. If only quilters could "mix" fabric like painters mix paint.... That print, those colors, or maybe a little more green in that one, a little more blue in this one....

      Thanks for your encouraging words. I told someone else who left a comment, maybe by the time I'm finished with Cheri's Baskets of Plenty I'll have figured out and feel somewhat confident about "prim" -- maybe.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful applique - it's going to be a great quilt! Thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susan. And thanks for hosting Midweek Makers.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you - I admire the prim look but have trouble with the making of it. I should follow your lead and try this pattern, since I love what you're doing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle. I hope by the time we're finished with these baskets I can feel somewhat confident. Maybe.... I can imagine you making some wonderful baskets!

      Delete
  6. There are a couple of blogs I follow doing these blocks and I really like them. I'm not on facebook, though. I think that red plaid you have in the last pictures would make a great basket! And I think the pink will come in handy somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really fun to watch the baskets appear in the facebook feed. I'm holding on to the red and the pink but not for this next basket. I don't know whether it would be worth it to join facebook just to get the pattern or not. Cheri used to post on her blog but switched to only facebook. I think she has more participants there and we can all see each others' baskets.

      Delete
  7. I love both your basket blocks and think you have the primitive look nailed. I'm not that familiar with the style either. I have downloaded the patterns and am very tempted to give them a try esp. seeing your process and success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. I've noticed that there is a spectrum of primitiveness, especially as I look at the baskets that participants post on facebook. I know you like handwork so maybe you'd enjoy stitching these?

      Delete
  8. Sweet. Don't you wish you really had a whole quilt of those cute baskets!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie. Yes, I do! But maybe not enough to make a whole quilt's worth, but we'll see what variety Cheri comes up with for the dozen Baskets of Plenty.

      Delete
  9. Your baskets are completely over the moon! They are so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Mia. You are sweet to say so.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...