Thursday, September 13, 2018

A Broken Iron, a New Tool, and a Barn Star

My trusty old iron broke a few weeks ago.  Sadly, it was less than two months old so I guess was neither trusty or old.  I knew there was a problem when it began ticking like a time bomb, and I knew it was dead when the ticking stopped and it quit heating altogether.  What is a quilter without an iron?

Then I found a new tool.

roller tool to use for pressing quilt block seams

Quilters on Facebook had mentioned that these little rollers work well for pressing seams.  I doubted its effectiveness but when I found one at a local craft shop in its recycle/up-cycle area, I made a donation and brought it home.  Gosh, it works like a charm for pressing a seam with two fabrics.  I wouldn't use one of these for a all blocks for a whole quilt, especially where seams intersect, but it's great for small seams.  I think it will be handy for pressing log cabin and similar blocks.

And I bought a new electric iron.  I hope it lasts longer than two months!

I finished my first baby quilt block using a variation of Kim Diehl's Barn Stars pattern.  I don't have the pattern, which makes about 4" finished blocks.  These blocks will finish at 12".

Large version variation of Kim Diehl's Barn Stars block

Kim's blocks are adorable but is that because they're so small?  Do they translate as well to a large block?  I had to fuss with the on-point square in the middle to get the right size and now I wonder if it's too small.  I think it's smaller, proportionately, than the one in her blocks but I think I'll leave it.

The background of this block is a creamy color, a little warmer and slightly golden in real life.  I've cut two more stars using different background fabrics in the same color range.  All three have small, unobtrusive prints.  When I choose such similar fabrics for backgrounds I often question whether scrappy/variety would add more interest.  The color ranger for this quilt is here.

Linking to
> Works in Progress at Silly Mama Quilts 
> Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

12 comments:

  1. cute, cute block!
    thanks for sharing the great tip!
    and for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brooke. The tool has been working great. Thanks for hosting the link-up.

      Delete
  2. Nice block. I like making things bigger too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jasmine. I think this is the first time I've enlarged a block so big! I think I'll like the quilt when it's finished -- at least I hope I do!

      Delete
  3. I have one of those little rollers, I've always used it for pressing wallpaper seams! Will have to dig it out and try it. I like the proportions of your block, 12 inches is so much easier to work with than 4 inches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I'd seen the roller used for something other than quilting but I wasn't sure what, Quilting Babcia. Now I know! Oh, yes, I'm finding these large blocks much easier to make than the tiny ones (but maybe not as cute as the little one).

      Delete
  4. Looks like a handy little tool. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one.
    Very pretty star. That quilt by Kim Deihl is on my "to do" list. I actually bought a kit for it, and I rarely buy kits!
    Some quilts I prefer a uniform background, and some I like the variety of depth. It all depends on the look you want to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet. One quilter who left a comment said she has one that she used for wallpaper. I didn't know what its original purpose was but I'm happy to use it for seams.

      I imagine your kit for Barn Stars is to make the tiny blocks. It will be fun to see how it turns out -- or whether you decide to make it even smaller.

      Delete
  5. I forgot you asked me about the iron. It seems I buy a new one about every two years. I recently bought a Sunbeam iron at Target. It's the cheapest one and I love it. The thing I like the best is that it doesn't turn off automatically every minute or so. I've had irons that have frustratingly done that before. This one heats up quickly and stays on while I go from machine to iron and back again. I really like your block, the color combination and the size square in the middle. It turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Robin. I suppose only quilters find a conversation about irons interesting.... I think the iron I had two irons ago was a Sunbeam. I liked it but when it died I wasn't able to find another one at the places I shop. I ended up with a Black and Decker. I really need an iron with auto shut-off (sometimes lacking my own memory) but, like you, I don't like it when they shut off after 3 minutes of non-use. I can't work that fast! This newest that I have is a Black and Decker. It heats really quickly (about 2 minutes) and stays on while I sew for 15 or 20 minutes (I haven't timed it so it could be longer).

      Thanks for your comment about the star. I looked at one of the photos of the tiny block again, measured the distance from the center to the edge of the square and from the edge of the square to the V point of the star and realized they are the same length. I increased the center square just a tad on the last blocks -- and hope it won't be too obvious when all the blocks are together.

      Delete
  6. What a happy OMG...for a new grandson! Congrats Nancy. I think the center block looks great and star blocks are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. I looked at a photo of one of the small blocks again and realized that my center square in this block is just a tad small, so I made the last ones just a little larger. I hope the difference is not too obvious.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...