Friday, September 7, 2018

A Baby Quilt for September's One Monthly Goal

As I pondered my choice of a goal for September my first thought was just survive September.  August was a challenge but perhaps less so than September will be.  There's too much on my plate and part of what made August busy has shifted into September.  But really, just getting through the month isn't much of a quilting goal.  So I reevaluated.

I want to make a baby quilt for my new grandson, arriving in November, but time is short so I have to choose a simple pattern that I feel fairly certain I can make quickly and quilt easily.  I decided on an autumn theme.



I considered maple leaves but then saw the quilt below in Summer 2017 issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects.  The blocks are 13" square!  And a baby quilt!  I don't know why large blocks for a baby quilt should be such a novel idea, but it was.


And then I remembered this Simple Whatnots pattern by Kim Diehl, and wondered how it would look as a 12" block.  Just fine, I thought.  I don't have the pattern but I don't want such small blocks anyway.


So I glued together some graph paper and drew up a pattern.  I wouldn't have needed one for a 12" block except that I wasn't sure the size for those tiny on-point squares in the center.  These blocks look like they have small squares placed on top of larger squares, then sewn diagonally.  In truth the size doesn't matter but for aesthetic appeal, I think it will make a difference.


Then on to choosing fabric.  The fabrics below, with colors that are close but not exact, are candidates for autumn stars.  Some are reproduction-style, others are ones I thought might work.  Would you add or remove any for an autumn color palette?





















Instead of using a light fabric for the stars I'll use colors as in the first photo.  I'll need only 12 fabrics  so I suppose I should audition 12 together at a time and see what I think.  Or maybe just begin by making a star with one of the fabrics I definitely want to use.  What shall it be?!

Before I make stars I need to choose background fabric/color.  It's more like me to use a variety of fabrics for the backgrounds but using the same fabric might unify the quilt a little more.  And I plan to use sashing as in Kim Diehl's quilt.

All that being said, my One Monthly Goal for September is to make a dozen 12" autumn stars (including all the decisions leading up to the finished stars).  I also hope to get them sewn into a top but am not claiming that as part of the goal for September.

And about the survival goal:  I'm sure I'll survive, just possibly a little worse for the wear.

I'm linking this post One Monthly Goal - September Goal link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.
.

12 comments:

  1. You will have a beautiful baby quilt when all your decisions are made and it is all stitched up.
    I've had an urge to make a baby quilt lately. I really like your design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I hope it turns out as I imagine it. Do you have a baby in mind for a quilt or do you make in advance of the need?

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty fabric pile! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty. And thanks for hosting One Monthly Goal.

      Delete
  3. You have some lovely fabrics picked out. There is still 3/4 of the month left. You've got plenty of time to get the blocks into a quilt top. Once the decisions are made and you've made a couple - you will be able to speed right along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. You're right about being able to speed along after making the decisions. I've only finished one block but I have several cut out. It it weren't such a busy month I know I could have this top finished in a few days or a week.

      Delete
  4. I hope your September turns out a lot better than you imagine. All those fabrics are lovely and your plan sounds like it will work out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shasta. I hope the fabrics and blocks will look as great as I imagine. So far September's been crazy but I'm hoping for calm toward the end of the month.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...