Monday, September 17, 2018

Scrappy Leftovers in Blogger's Quilt Festival Fall 2018

It's Festival Time again!  The wonderful Amy Ellis is hosting Blogger's Quilt Festival :: Fall 2018 Edition at her website, Amy's Creative Side.  If you've finished a quilt or two this year and have a blog, you're invited to participate.  You can post all week.  It's a great way to share your quilts and see others' quilts you might have missed. 


"Scrappy Leftovers" is participating in the Festival this year.  How I wish my photos did justice to this quilt.  No light seems quite right.  Indoors with a flash the colors look just a tad warmer than they really are.

Outdoors the colors wash to white or grey.


You'll have to trust me that its true colors are lights, naturals, warms, and creams with hints of coral/peach/pink and just a few scraps of light yellow and a few whites/off-whites here and there.


This quilt began as scraps cut from behind applique pieces on another quilt.  The pieces were too large to throw away but the largest measured only 4".  There weren't enough by themselves to make a quilt but I had lots of small, light/neutral scraps to sew together.  (But not quite enough.  Thanks to Susan from DesertSky Quilting who sent some to help me finish.) 


For a while they became my leaders and enders and sometimes my purposeful sewing, leading and ending each other until I had a nice stack.  I put them together into blocks with coral/peach sashing and red centers.  Once sewn together I added the circles where four blocks met, but only in alternate squares.

The top measured 61½" x 77½".  The back is scrappy but with only several large pieces of fabric.  The batting is Soft 'n' Crafty 80/20 (cotton/poly).


As much as I loved the top I wasn't sure how I could hand quilt through all the seams.  Some 4" blocks have as many 10 pieces of fabric.  One of my readers, Martha of Q is for Quilt, suggested circles and sent a diagram of her idea which I adapted and altered, then created my own templates.  (I used Prismacolor pencils to mark the circles.  I'll post about that a little later.)


I knew I lacked the skill to make fine, small stitches but I also knew I didn't want do "big stitch" quilting with embroidery floss or pearl cotton.  I finally chose Americana brand quilt thread in a color called buttercream, which was a delight to use, and managed about five stitches/inch.  Big stitch with quilting thread, I guess.  The seams were a challenge.


After quilting it measured 61" X 76".  After washing and drying it measures 58¼" x 72".  I was surprised at how crinkly and puckered it became.  It's easy to imagine how the air caught between the layers will add warmth to someone sleeping under the quilt.  In the photo above you can see the crinkles and also the quilted circles and lines that connect them, creating a diamond box around the red cornerstone.  I used masking tape as a guide for the straight lines.

Out in the sunshine.

And on the floor inside ... because I'm not ready to fold it and put it away yet.  It is just such an inviting quilt. 


I loved the process of creating this quilt, from sewing scraps to sewing binding.  And I love the finished quilt, perhaps more than any other I've made.  My only regrets are that it's not larger and that I wasn't able to/didn't try to take smaller stitches.  Even so, I love it.

Remember to visit Blogger's Quilt Festival :: Fall 2018 Edition to see lots of other quilts.  And if you'd like to participate with one or two of your own quilts, write a post and link it.  Thank you for hosting this wonderful event, Amy!

--Nancy.
.

38 comments:

  1. What a beautiful finish from scraps that a lot of people would throw away. I love the soft colors and quilting. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you kind comments, Nancy. I have trouble throwing away scraps, which is probably NOT a good thing (at least in my case).

      Delete
  2. This is just lovely! I like the soft, pretty colours (even if the photos are not quite right) combined with the red, I like the circle quilting, I like the shapes and the balance of things. It really is a quilt that invites you to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kaja. I appreciate your kind words about this quilt.

      Delete
  3. This quilt begs to be used, not put away! Those soft buttery colors and the hand quilting really make it special! Love all the work you put into scraps many would have tossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Quilting Babcia. I'm a sucker for scraps. I save too many but often don't get around to using them. This quilt is very comfortable to nap under. The backing is an older fabric that so soft and cuddly.

      Delete
  4. I, too, love the softness of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt has a soft cottage style look to it. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Your comment made me realize, again, that I like a great variety of styles. I can definitely identify this quilt with a cottage style, though.

      Delete
  6. This is a beautiful quilt!! Very calming! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love everything about this quilt--it is so soft and understated, and wonderfully scrappy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful quilt! Those colors are gorgeous together. The softness is both tactile and visual thanks to your smart quilting and comfy colors. Really it makes me want to pull out the neutral scraps.
      Mary from Fleur de Lis Quilts
      Visiting from Amy’s Creative Side and the Blogger’s Quilt Festival

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind comments about this quilt. It is a physically soft quilt and very comfortable and comforting to use.

      Delete
  8. I just adore this quilt! It is a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. It is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  9. Always a treat to revisit this lovely quilt. It just has such a serene feel to it. I don't use pearl cotton or embroidery thread either. I use Aurifil #12 thread if I want a specific color or size 12 DMC crochet cotton is I just want white or ecru. I use the crochet cotton a lot and am always ordering a bunch of it on Amazon because I can't find what I'm looking for in local stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I didn't anticipate that everyone who already commented on this finish earlier would leave a comment again. It almost seems like the quilt and I are begging for attention.... I've not used Aurifil #12 nor have I seen it in stores (at least I don't think so) but I have used DMC 12 before. I can find it locally in small balls. When you buy it from Amazon do you buy large quantities of small balls or is it packaged in larger balls?

      Delete
  10. You are right...it's such an inviting quilt! How fun that it started with some applique cast offs. And the hand quilting and make do-ness of this quilt makes it look rather vintage. This is my favorite kind of quilt. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. I agree that it seems to have a vintage feel to it -- almost as though I might have found a similar on in my grandmother's bedroom.

      Delete
  11. Yes, very inviting, and creative ideas for hand quilting as well. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful quilt! I give you loads of credit for hand quilting it, as I would never have attempted it with all those seams. (Also, not being very patient with the quilting step, I probably wouldn't attempt it at all, so kudos to you for that skill!) The finished quilt looks so snuggly and happy, I'd be waiting for a cool day to curl up under it with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comments, Katie. I was intimidated by all those seams, which is why the quilting stitches are not tiny ones. My skills aren't up to tiny stitches when there are lots of seams. I took a nap under it a few days ago when we had one of our first cool days. The backing is so soft, too, so it is a very comfortable quilt.

      Delete
  13. I agree that your quilt is very inviting - the colors are so soft and beautiful! I really love this one, and it is a perfect entry for the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diann. My finishes have been few and far between of late and this was one of them, so into the Festival it went.

      Delete
  14. Lovely quilt! I love that you hand quilted it - not too many people seem to do that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela. I've never machine quilted any of my quilts (or had them machine quilted). For me there's just something about a hand quilted quilt that I love.

      Delete
  15. Wow.. Labour of love with the tiny scraps. Lovely, inviting quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cille. I really did enjoy stitching these blocks together, just as leaders/enders or at times when I didn't want to think too much.

      Delete
  16. So pretty. Love the soft look to this quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Audrey. I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  17. What a pretty quilt and I really love those little lattice strips and cornerstones.
    Wonderful photos with the quilting texture.
    Great festival quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments about your observations of this quilt, Barb. The texture does stand out in the photos but the quilt is also very soft.

      Delete
  18. Such soft lovely colors--looks very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Eclectic Abuela. It is a cozy quilt.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...