Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Quilts at a Local Quilt Show

A little nearby town, Grove City, had a quilt show a few weeks ago.

This first quilt was large and I couldn't get far enough away to see all of it in the camera's viewfinder.

This quilt show was held in a large room in a local church.  In previous years the quilts filled the room.  This year there were about half as many quilts as in previous years.

And yet the aisles between the rows of quilts were so close that it was hard to get any but the smallest quilts in the view of a camera lens.  Hence, the less-than-great photos.

You can click on any photo to enlarge it.  (I'm not using Lightbox.)


When I see a group of quilts I'm always taken by the patterns, the colors, the fabrics.  I forget to look at details.  I usually don't notice individual aspects of quilts like fabric choices, quilting details, or borders.

This year was a little different for me.  Because I'd just come from the store with the quilts hanging on the fence and realized what I forgot to look at, I took notice at this show.



From a distance, I saw flowers.  Up close, I saw the strips of fabric that created the flowers.

This quilt was interesting because it seemed very two-sided.  The quilting threads didn't show much on the front...
... but on the back, they were bright echoes of the pattern on the front.







When I looked at the quilting this time, I noticed that the hand quilting seemed to meld into the fabric and become part of it, even when the quilting lines were evident.  The machine quilting seemed to lay on top of the quilt, almost like a separate aspect of the quilt.





I didn't fall in love with any of the quilts but there were several that I thought were special.

Take care,
Nancy.

P.S.  If you're interested, there's a link-up to share your quilty inspiration posts here.  It's open until Thursday evening.  Participate if you can!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...