Tuesday, October 30, 2018

October's Party

by George Cooper

        October gave a party;
        The leaves by hundreds came —
        The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
        And leaves of every name.
        The Sunshine spread a carpet,
        And everything was grand,
        Miss Weather led the dancing,
        Professor Wind the band.

        The Chestnuts came in yellow,
        The Oaks in crimson dressed;
        The lovely Misses Maple
        In scarlet looked their best;
        All balanced to their partners,
        And gaily fluttered by;
        The sight was like a rainbow
        New fallen from the sky.

        Then, in the rustic hollow,
        At hide-and-seek they played,
        The party closed at sundown,
        And everybody stayed.
        Professor Wind played louder;
        They flew along the ground;
        And then the party ended
        In jolly "hands around."


I love the imagery of George Cooper's poem!  By the middle of October we're usually seeing views like the one above, with the glow of the sun through gold and bronze leaves, a brilliant carpet on the ground, and wind fluttering through the leaves.  But this year -- this year in central Ohio! -- we're still waiting for the leaves to change colors.  Here and there, bright trees dot the landscape but they are few and far between.  This year I'll just have to think of the beautiful colors in this photo and the imagery in the poem to enjoy autumn's beauty.

I hope your October has been beautiful!

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem.
    Yes, Fall isn't its usual vibrant self here, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist sharing the poem, Janet, but I kept waiting until we actually had fall color here in Ohio, which turned out to be almost too late to share it in October! I'm hoping for more color next fall!

      Delete
  2. So strange--the same thing happened here in MN and then all the leaves fell off. Hopefully we have a more colorful autumn next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of states encountered the same "mild" fall colors, Karen. Some of the trees here have been leafless for most of the month, others are just now turning. I'll hope along with you for a brighter autumn next year.

      Delete
  3. Nancy, what a treat to read and remember this poem from my childhood as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a new poem to me when I read it this year, Jocelyn. It's fun to learn that you knew of it as a child. I was thinking of your beautiful autumn photographs when I read and posted it. Lucky you with all that beauty around you this October!

      Delete
  4. October is hands-down my favorite month, and this poem has always been a personal favorite as well! I saw your blog on the blog roll at Janet's (rogue quilter) blog and loved your blog name and came over to take a look! We have just started to see autumn color in the last few days, here in North Alabama; it was late arriving this year. I'm so ready for it! Have a happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Denise. Thanks for visiting. I can see why my blog's title might have caught your eye.

      October is my favorite month, too! I think the colors are late coming nearly everywhere this year. Are Alabama autumns very long? Do you get cold winters where you are in Alabama?

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...