Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Oh Me, Oh My

With only a few feet of binding left to sew on Noah's quilt last night I was feeling discouraged for only finishing two quilts this year.  What have I been doing with my time?  How could I have accomplished so little when it seems I'm always working on something?!  Later in the evening I was organizing some digital photos and as I scrolled through a large, unsorted file, I had a different perspective.  Lots unfinished, for sure, but progress toward finishes, too.  (Though maybe too many beginnings for one year.)  These are some of the photos of quilt parts I saw.

Quarter Cabins.  I have a nice stack of these little 4" blocks and have been thinking of making a strippy quilt with them.  Barely an idea, no real idea what to put in the strip between the log cabin strips.  I'd love to participate in Julie's Log Cabin Lunacy.


Sweet Land of Liberty.  This was a sew-along hosted by Lori of Humble Quilts.  I started late then couldn't keep up and was considering either not finishing or turning the blocks into little medallion quilts.  I was thrilled to learn that she'll be hosting the sew-along again next year, this time on Cheri Payne's Facebook page.  Reprieve!  I have a second chance!


Red and brown four-patch blocks.  These scrappy blocks make me think of strings of rubies.  I became disinterested in this, or maybe discouraged or bored or uncertain how it would look when finished, but an image of it quilted flashed through my mind last night.  I just need to cut and sew, cut and sew.  The larger double four-patch blocks will finish at 3", four together to make a diamond/square will finish at 6".


The Blue and the Gray.  The red crosses on the right will become cornerstones in the sashing for the blocks on the left.  I've been collecting fabrics for the sashing pieces which will be cut at 5½" x 9½".













Linda Brannock's Flowers.  This is a sew-along on Facebook.  I started late on this one, too.  Most people are about done with theirs.  I've finished one more flower than is in this photo, have the pattern for the next block, and will have four more blocks to make plus half-triangle squares for the sashing.


Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork.  These need sashing, cornerstones, border, and applique on the border.

Little Spools.  These will finish at 3".  I have enough for a small quilt....  Or I could make more but I don't really enjoy making them.  These were leader/ender blocks suggested by Bonnie Hunter a few years ago. 


These aren't all the quilt blocks/quilts I have in progress, just the ones I've worked on this year.  While they don't amount to finishes, I can at least see that I've made some progress.

Oh me, oh my.  So many options, so much to do!  From these I will choose my monthly goal for November.   (And I will not start another quilt until one or two of these is/are finished.  I will not start another quilt....  I will not start another quilt....  I must not join a sew-along....)

--Nancy.
.

12 comments:

  1. Just keep chanting, Nancy! LOL
    You have some beautiful options from which to choose.
    And I wish you luck resisting the SALs and new starts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks, Janet. Plenty of options, too little time. I will not, I will not, I will not start a new quilt. Haha.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy your posts so much I think because we are similar in second guessing ourselves when it comes to stitching decisions. You have been busy and made heaps of progress in the big picture, Nancy. Fabulous finishes are very close! And like me we’ve got to resist too many new starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. The difference I notice between us is that while I'm so vocal about my indecision, I don't notice that so much in your posts. I know there are other quilts like us.... I hope I can find time to finish at least one other quilt this year, even if it's only as far as blocks stitched into a top!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the chanting! (It doesn't work for me either...)
    You've got some fabulous projects in the works here! Wishing you momentum, if not finishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wish for good luck. I hope it helps but I probably need to develop some will power or something.... I hope I can find time to cut and sew as far as a finished top by the end of the year. So now it's not just will power, I also need determination and motivation and ....

      Delete
  4. what a nice collection of possibilities! would be difficult for me to choose as well...be sure and show us which is the lucky one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice collection of possibilities, Grace, but it looked better last night than it does now. I hope I can find time to finish at least of of these quilts at least as far as a top by the end of the year.

      Delete
  5. Your have a lot of fun possibilities to work on--love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. They are all relatively simple quilts but, when finished, I think they will look comfortable (and hopefully fell comfortable, too). I don't know if lack of time or time mismanagement is my problem, but I hope I can get at least one of these to the finished top stage.

      Delete
  6. Oh, yes! Lots of work this year. Some years aren't about finishes, but about journeys in that direction. I LOVE those quarter cabins! The colors, everything about them. That would make a great leader-ender project, and I'm about sick of doing green and white squares, so when I have a few more finished to make a baby quilt, I think I might be switching! I have Unit 1 finished for SLOL, except for one economy block not being sewn. I'm not on facebook, so I'll still just be poking along with a couple of friends of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, I get tired of sewing repetitive blocks, too, Susan. But those green and white ones (if they're for the Temecula Burgoyne Squares quilt?) -- wow! What a fabulous quilt.

      I'll be working on SLOL next year but I don't have high hopes of keeping up even then. I'm just slow....

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...